CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

upgrade f2 with f3 parts bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade f2 with f3 parts bike

hey guys got a few questions,
about to pick up a 97 f3 bike my current 94 f2 has bent rims and for 1g for a full f3 bike im not gonna let it go to some other buyer...anyways

i know the rear rim for the f3 is interchangeable but does that mean i need a f3 rear sprocket? so the next time i buy a sprocket kit i should buy a f3 kit?

i just wanted to confirm for the f3 front end it is a direct replacement yea? no special bearings and such...

thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F3 front end is somewhat interchangable.

Head bearings, clipons and triple clamps should all be interchangable. the upper tubes/stanchions on the forks should swap - but the lower legs will not work with your F2 brake calipers. F2 lower legs will work with F3 upper legs. If you're doing the f3 front wheel though, you'll need F3 brakes, rotors and calipers, and a fork with F3 lowers.

You will also lose your speedometer - F2 is driven off the front hub, F3 is driven off the front sprocket. To convert that you'll at least need the F3 sending unit and cable, and I believe the F3 gauge cluster - I'm not 100% certain there.

Sprockets shouldn't be any different that I'm aware of. The sprocket on your F2 wheel should swap over, no problem. Probably can swap the whole hub carrier/cush drive quick and easy.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the front end and fuel pump system are about the only things besides the wider rear wheel that you would want. For a grand i wouldnt buy it but thats just me. Nothing on that bike is really gonna make yours better. You will be spending money that is just not needed.

Now if you really want to do some mods then you can put a 900rr rear wheel on your bike pretty easily from what i hear. That means you could put a bigger tire on the rear.

If you want to find out if you can put f4 wheels and front end on the f2 and ill make you a deal on all the stuff from the f4 im parting out and you can have a sweet lookin f2 with the newer front end

Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM

I'm with Nickels - and I don't think the F3 rear wheel is any wider than the stock F2. both come spec from honda with a 160/60 tire.

I guess it all comes down to the condition of the f3. I'm making some assumptions here but it sounds like you have a wrecked F2 you're trying to put back together, and found a neglected f3 with no title but what appear to be some decent running gear for a decent price?

cause otherwise, if you were getting a running and drivng F3, with a title for $1000 then just ride it and part out/sell your wrecked f2, and put that $$$ towards the f3.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM

yes theres a title (salvaged though), not running though guy said something is up with the carbs...all i really need are the f2 front and rear rims but keep in mind in honolulu, hi so shipping is pretty expensive.

im just kind of desperate right now i just want to ride my f2 again i crashed last week where i basically defied natural selection, and my f2 suffered the same damage as me. im not gonna be able to get over it till i ride the same bike...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM

so after a little thought and more consideration with the mechanic i think i would be best to spend less than a grand and just fix what needs to be fixed.

let me know if you're selling f2 rims price with shipping to honolulu, hi
thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
F3 front end is somewhat interchangable.

You will also lose your speedometer - F2 is driven off the front hub, F3 is driven off the front sprocket. To convert that you'll at least need the F3 sending unit and cable, and I believe the F3 gauge cluster - I'm not 100% certain there.
I know the OP said that he decided against the new bike, but i wanted to correct a very small incorrect statement made by junky. you would in fact lose your speeo if you traded out the front end from another bike, but its not why you think. the speedo sending unit of the F3 is given its electrical signal from the engine and not from the front sprocket cover like on some other bikes. in order to reclaim your speedo using only F2/F3 parts you would need to trade out the engine, cluster, and wiring harness. the only other way to reclaim your lost indication would be to swap in a front sprocket cover from a 900rr, the cluster and the wiring harness from an F3, then make the appropriate wiring modifications to the new harness for a plug for the 900rr style speed sensor... and then you would still need a speedo healer due to the difference in input signals. just my $.02

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jeason15
I know the OP said that he decided against the new bike, but i wanted to correct a very small incorrect statement made by junky. you would in fact lose your speeo if you traded out the front end from another bike, but its not why you think. the speedo sending unit of the F3 is given its electrical signal from the engine and not from the front sprocket cover like on some other bikes. in order to reclaim your speedo using only F2/F3 parts you would need to trade out the engine, cluster, and wiring harness. the only other way to reclaim your lost indication would be to swap in a front sprocket cover from a 900rr, the cluster and the wiring harness from an F3, then make the appropriate wiring modifications to the new harness for a plug for the 900rr style speed sensor... and then you would still need a speedo healer due to the difference in input signals. just my $.02

thanks for that - honestly the only gauge cluster upgrades I had researched was going to the F4i digital cluster, so I was thinking about the sending unit in the front sprocket cover - you're 100% correct about the F3 coming from the engine.

Either way - lots of work involved.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:38 AM

You can install the motor also,it's a very nice step up from the F2.It's a direct install,and all your F2 items will power the F3 motor (carbs,harness,CDI).Only part you will have to buy is F3 carb boots.

What was said above about F3 front end being moved over is correct.If the F3 has a complete front end (calipers,wheel,fender),that also is a direct swap.

The F3 rear wheel is a must for the F2.It is 1/2 wider,therefore creating a larger contact patch,increasing stability in the corners.You do not have to "go up" a tire size at all,and I don't recommend it.The F3 rear sprocket carrier is a little different,but the F2 and F3 s/c are interchangeable.The sprocket itself is identical.

It's all a nice upgrade.Need any additional help,feel free to email me at your leisure (that courtesy is extended to all ) - kjohnson888@bellsouth.net

One more thing: The California model F2s and F3s,the carbs and cams are worthless.Get the numbers,I'll look them up and verify.

Last edited by kjohnson; 12-11-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:08 PM

not for a grand tho lol

Quick Reply: upgrade f2 with f3 parts bike