CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Uh Oh.. I think my HID kit killed my battery.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh Oh.. I think my HID kit killed my battery.

I was doing my midnight ride through the back roads. and somehow I got lost.. (before I left, my phone had died. so i left it at home on the charger..) My bike started acting like it wanted to die and the headlights went completely dead. I made it about a half mile from my house before it completely died on me.. I smelt a sulfur-ish smell coming from my bike, and immediately thought my battery had exploded. Walked her home, and took off the seat un-hooked the battery and the thing was REALLY hot. Put on my gloves and even through the gloves I got burnt.. I think my HID kit was the cause of this issue. probably should have installed the relay.. DOH! anyway.. My bike is dead in the garage now.. gonna see if i can get a new battery and ill post back how it goes.. Anyone care to chime in with your opinions?what else should i look for in this situation in relation to other parts that may have gotten fried in the process of the battery self destructing..?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM

Take a look around R/R to make sure wiring hasn't melted, might have been what you could smell.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya id look at the r/r before putting a new battrey in or youll end up killing the new battery

Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Update: Went to Bent Bike in Kent, WA and picked up a new battery and regulator/rectifier for $160.00. HID light melted, removed ballast and HID. Going back to stock for now.. Battery is charging as we speak. Hopefully that is all I need to do. Also noticed my radiator fluid was low - topped her off. Washed and lubed everything. Its supposed to be 80 degrees here in WA tomorrow - so this is horrible timing, and today its gonna be near 80.. How long does a new battery need to charge before I can try and start her up again?

PS.. My original R/R was cracked all over due to heat, I believe.. So I decided to eliminate that problem by buying both the battery and the R/R together.

Last edited by Demologik; 05-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 PM

1 why are you telling us you washed your bike 😣

2 hopefully you were smart and bought the r/r with heat sink fina instead of crap shoot dealer ones

Old 05-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Sorry dude, didn't know it was wrong to tell stories of my day.. Is there an off-topic section called "what did you do to your bike today?" if so, I'll post there from now on.

On topic: Everything's good now. Rode for over 3 hrs today. No problems.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM

lol no i was just giving you ****, glad everything worked out man!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Lol thx. Moral of story - use a relay when converting to HIDs

Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you got it all fixed! i live up in everett so i know how great the weather has been in washington lately. been riding back and forth to boeing every day for work =) do you think there was anything particular about your hid's that caused all this? i wanted to swap over to them soon as my stock light is horrid at night but now you got me all scared

Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
1 why are you telling us you washed your bike ��

I haven't washed my Ratbike in years, does it make you faster???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Uh Oh.. I think my HID kit killed my battery.