CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Terrible pain from riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible pain from riding

Hello, new to this forum.

I bought a 94 F2 as a starter bike last year and it has been nothing but a pleasure.

Unfortunately I am experiencing some rather incredible pain from riding, which is rather embarrassing.

Last summer I thought I had just pulled a muscle or strained something, but after a year I can say for sure it is the bike.

After a ride, even just a short 15 min blast, I feel like Mike Tyson has given me an ol one-two in the crotch. This numbing pain will last for days sometimes weeks. It is bad enough that I am seriously considering selling the bike.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have heard plenty on wrist, back and leg pain but this crosses the line.

I am 180lbs at 6' 2" - I am thinking that I might be too tall for the bike, perhaps the way the seating position forces me to ride is causing the pain -

Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Im 6'4" around 200 lbs. If the pain you are talking about is the same that I was having I did two things. First I switched to a Corbin seat, and I love it. Second I wear a pair of bicycling shorts under my pants, holds everything in place.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that too. My ... nuts get squished against the tank. some times i have to stand up and shake them back down...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 PM

i kno what ur talkin about.. just dont be embarassed to grab ur crotch infront of people and just move them around to a comfortable position. i do it all the time.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 PM

That's a new one on me?! Never heard of this type of pain before. Like you though, I have heard of all the other "aliments", but not this one.

I'm also 6'2" carrying about 50 lbs more on my frame and I've never had this issue. Fact is I ride quite close to the tank - to try and take as much pressure off my hands, arms and most importantly - my shoulders!

For me it's always been my shoulders! And I do get a numbing sensation in my fingers after a long ride, not to mention some pretty intense soreness in both shoulders. Simply put they can - and often do - hurt like hell! I've already had surgery on the left one and now they're both beginning to show signs of wear. I know that my problems stems from years of weight lifting and football - not to mention that I'm only 2 years away from - gulp - 50!

Anyway the reason I'm telling you all this is... that it "may" not be your bike at all. It could be a pinched never or something similar that only seems to be affected when you're "in" your normal riding position. Unfortunately to find out if it "could" possibly be something as simple as a pinched nerve, it'll probably take medical intervention. But ultimately it's gonna' depend on your desire to keep riding this bike or move on to something different.

However, you might be able to pinpoint a possible diagnosis - notice I said possible - with a little bit of "medical detective work". Try this...

The F2 has a fairly "relaxed" riding position - to begin with - and for tall guys like yourself that's actually a blessing - in my opinion. Or at least it has been for me! To be quite honest, that's exactly "why" I bought my F2 in the first place. I was within a spilt-hair from buying a Kawasaki Zx-7 - when I purchased my F2 new in '91 - but the riding position on the ZX-7 was just way toooo radical for my tall frame! Too "racer-like" which had me placing a huge portion of my upper body weight on my arms, because of the radical lean. Not to mention the extreme height of the foot pegs, which were considerably higher than on the F2, making me -personally - feel like my knees were in my chest.

So, now that the "new(er)" 600's like the RR are very close to that radical "racer" riding position - if you have a GOOD friend who owns one - ask him to go on a ride with you and switch bikes. That small bit of "angle" difference will either do one of two things. It'll increase your pain or relieve it, by simple virtue of a different position. In either case, that would lead me to believe it could be an issue with your body and possibly that pinched nerve I was speaking about earlier.

I'm no doctor, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Sorry I just couldn't resist the temptation. But seriously... my sister-in-law is a physical therapist and she knows her - er,ummm - s--t! She's been my physical therapist through my shoulder surgery rehab and when I have an orthopedic-type injury I head to her before I jump-n-run to the doctor. And if it's bad enough she'll recommend I see a doctor.

In any case, best of luck with finding a solution! Hopefully that won't mean selling your F2.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for those who replied.

I took the bike out again today to see if the problem would still occur. It does... The pain is mostly in the perineum area, and it lasts for quite a long time.

Very, very frustrating.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 AM

dude..... get your prostate checked.... or something.. im 6'2" and was 180 last season and put on 30k miles on my f2.... what you're experiencing is something with you man... not the bike. sorry?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the blunt advice. Turns out I have a common infection, and is not the bike.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Oh jeez Well, good luck healing it up- I hope it's fast.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lxmillz
Thanks for the blunt advice. Turns out I have a common infection, and is not the bike.
Wear a rubber the next time you visit the lady on the corner.

Glad to hear you got your issue figured out.

Quick Reply: Terrible pain from riding