CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Suspension is way to soft, need some advice on upgrades (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/suspension-way-soft-need-some-advice-upgrades-156167/)

Ctab 06-13-2017 05:40 PM

Suspension is way to soft, need some advice on upgrades

The bike is a 92. First I have to state that this bike will be for the street 98% of the time maybe see the track one day but I doubt it. Also when its above 50 degrees I ride this bike 100 miles per ride min at least 3 times a week so more then the average person but not nearly as much as some people I know. Recently after being apart for a year and a half I put the bike back together, had second gear issues so had the transmission rebuilt and a Factory Pro shift kit installed to help stop that issue next time. After 500 miles I noticed that one of the front forks was leaking, so since I have to take it apart to fix the seal I might as well fix all this soft as **** suspension in the front. I plan on getting Race Tech Front springs for a 185-205 lb Rider RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .95kg FRSP S3534095 These seem to be the best match for that weight range using Race Techs online calculator. Since I wont be racing the bike would it be worth buying the gold valve emulators as well for extra settings, or is it not worth the extra cash. I do understand swapping to the 94 forks for the cartridge style is the best option but investing double the cost or triple the cost of upgrading the 92 forks is not worth that kind of cash to me, again I plan on enjoying street riding not track days. The front end floating up and down while cornering is not enjoyable on the street. My next issue is the rear shock, shes soft, much less of a problem then the front but so many debates on what is best to use or do. So if anyone can verify the front suspension and let me know about the gold cartridge emulators being worth it or not as well as what would be the best option for the rear shock without giving me a wacky racer stance I would greatly appreciate it. I know alot of this has been covered but its all very old and outdated just like my bike lol. Thanks

coalminer frank 06-15-2017 03:15 PM

Are the Emulator worth it.........Yes and No. If you're not racing or doing track days why bother, just do a basic fork rebuild. fresh seals, bushings, and thicker fork oil. I raced my F2 with stock forks except for thicker oil. But mine is a 94. Also, a few years ago when I started doing track days after being away from the track for years, I was doing faster lap times than the fella who won the vintage v7 championship. Also, I think when it comes to adjustment of the Emulators, you have to take the caps off of the forks and fish them out, make the adjustment, then button everything back up, kind of a pain in the behind. But, if you were going to the track often or racing the Emulators would definitely be worth it IF you couldnt or wouldnt have the 94 forks. Which is a complete bolt on modification. And then you'd have more adjustability. The main thing about the 94 forks is the easy adjustments that can be made quickly, the next best thing is Emulators in the "older" forks to get the adjustments, then the basic rebuild I described earlier. NOW the rear of the bike. The best option is a Fox or Ohlins shock rebuild for your weight, period. The next best in my opinion would be a low mileage 94 OEM shock, it has more adjustability. I also raced mine with the stock shock which I later had rebuild for my weight, and got my best finish in a race ever, 5th in the 750cc class. Then years later, like I said before, getting back on the track, I got a Fox shock which I had rebuilt for me. Which is definitely the best option if $$ is not a problem. The thing is, you just dont bolt this stuff on and expect it to fix everything, you have to play with it, make adjustments etc. Thats the cool thing about the track, you can make the adjustments in a controlled environment and actually feel what works and what dont. Plus there is usually some one at the track who can help you dial things in for a small fee.

74demon 06-15-2017 04:15 PM

Definitely do the springs with the seals and oil.

coalminer frank 06-16-2017 04:09 PM

Where are you at Mr. Ctab? Are you close to a track? In USA? I snagged a couple sets of 94 fork from ebay at reasonable prices, along with those shocks I mentioned.

Ctab 06-16-2017 07:05 PM

I am located on the east coast, South Jersey to be exact. the closest track to me is Millville (New Jersey Motorsports Park). It is maybe 10-15 min drive/ride away. I've been searching ebay the past few days its kinda hard to decipher some of the post on there seems most people selling parts these days just know the make and model of the bike for parts listings not much more lol.

coalminer frank 06-18-2017 02:45 AM

Awesome living so close to a road course track. I have relatives in Patterson. Im little over 3 hours from Summit Point WV and maybe 2 hr and 30 min from Pittsburgh race track. MotoAmerica is coming to PA this August, I think Im going to watch. Get some autographs, hopefully Wayne Rainey is there. I dont see whats so confusing about ebay. Just type in CBR F2, search, and a crap load of parts comes up, you can search "cheapest part, highest priced parts, recently posted, almost ending etc, etc. If you know what your looking "for" and "at", you should be able to get what you want at a fair price. If you see something on there ask someone here or ask someone here first and we could find it on ebay for you and let you know.