Default RE: Strange Odor

that is odd-- I have the cannister too but never the smell

having new spark plugs can only help-- even if you still have the smell

good luck

Old 05-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nick I.

Just a thought on that smell. check your battery after riding and see if it very hot. A bad VR cooked my battery and had that same type of smell.
You hit the nail on the head there guy. On my way home, my light burned out so I pulled into an Autoparts Store to get
a new one to get me home. I smelled that odor again and like you said to I checked to see if the battery was hot. It was SO HOT I couldn't touch it. Major over charging I'd say. So now I need to pick up a new
Voltage Regulator and I guess a battery. This battery swelled so much I am suprised it didn't explode.
Thanks again for the tip. You were dead on correct.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get a new regulator? Did it fix the problem? My bike is having the same sortof smell and its definitly coming from the battery by the smell of things. And to think I JUST got this battery.. brand new The smell only started tonight though, but I noticed that the battery is just not holding the same charge... my bike had a hard time turning on today.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 AM

I noticed an odd smell coming from my exhaust, turns out it was the gasoline ethanol additive!

Smells like sugar or corn now.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 AM

MY smell is definitly rotten egg smelling.. very sharp and distiguishable, ontop of that, my battery died tonight, like... stopped holding a charge. It was fine riding on the highway for 2 hours, got off my bike, parked it at a coffee shop and noticed a stinky smell. Went back out to my bike after and the battery was dead (not enough charge to turn over starter).. had to bump start my bike. Im pissed, I JUST bought this battery maybe 3 weeks ago.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 AM

Bad battery, and maybe bad wiring somewhere?

Check all connections too

Old 06-23-2006, 04:30 AM

Connections are good, the only thing I could think that would cause this is a voltage regulator/rectifier that is a little off. Most (99.5%) of all electronics work within a 5-10% tolerance range. I figure mine might be a bit high and I rode pure highway doing 140km/h @ 7k rpm for 2 hours today, and thats when the problem occured because until today it has never been an issue.. but before today I have never taken it out and riden it like that.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:26 AM

Hope you find it Syphen

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Syphen

Did you get a new regulator? Did it fix the problem? My bike is having the same sortof smell and its definitly coming from the battery by the smell of things. And to think I JUST got this battery.. brand new The smell only started tonight though, but I noticed that the battery is just not holding the same charge... my bike had a hard time turning on today.
Yes the new Regulator fixed my problem. The smell was my battery overheating, it was so hot i couldn't touch it and had to wait for it to cool before I removed it. Another thing I noticed from my bad Regulator was that my headlight connection had begun to melt, I spliced on a new one but to be safe I inspected the entire wiring harness. All is fine now, new battery, charged before installation, and a new Regulator. Now it is 102 degrees where I live and the electrical system is getting a workout keeping the fan running. So far no failures.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Where'd you get your regulator/rectifier from? Apparently the one I ordered was putting out 25V and it overcharged my battery and killed it. I tried to contact the place I bought it from but they're not replying back all of the sudden. Surprise, surprise....

Quick Reply: Strange Odor