CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Spark Plug Removal and Fuel Line Questions

Old 03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Removal and Fuel Line Questions

I have a 92' F2, and I had read online to remove the fuel tank and airbox to get to the spark plugs. I went to remove the fuel line from the tank, and it looks old and cracked so I want to replace it. Does anyone know what size and type of tube it is?

Also, is that the best way to remove the plugs? The service manual says you can do it by removing the small service covers, but when I tried that before I couldn't even get the two outermost plugs out.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Default RE: Spark Plug Removal and Fuel Line Questions

I am performing the same procedures on the fuel line...I need to find out what size too, could you get this tubing at Home Depot?

Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM

You don't have to remove the tank and airbox to replace the spark plugs.

You can, and it certainly makes things easier to see...

I recently replaced all the plugs in my 94 F2....

All you need do is remove the service bay plastic, (the little parts of the fairing that have the self-retaining bolts).

The original spark plug wrench that comes with the bike is a handy tool...hope you have one as their is a weld/casting inside where the plugs go that the original plug tool has a groove cut for to help in tightening and loosening.

I have my orignal tool bag...which is kept under the seat...which you need to carry a wrench around with you to remove if you are not at home.

Honda really was brain dead when they did this. I've had or worked on every brand of bike there is, except a Ducati and a Moto Guzzi,...and the CBR 600 F2 is the most difficult to service one I have seen in my life. It's like Honda built the thing assuming every owner has a pit crew to perform service...standing at the ready.

Don't get me wrong...when the CBR runs...it runs and handles great...one of the best bikes I have ridden. But the shade tree mechanic was totally forgotten when they engineered it.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Also...don't over tighten the plugs...just two finger snug on the middle of a ratchet is all that is needed.

If you have never done any self mechanic-ing...the CBR is not the one to learn on.

There are alot of little basics you should know about motorcycles period and in general before you start tearing apart things.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Although this is my first bike, I've done a lot of work with my friends'. I've never worked on an F2 before, but I've done a decent amount on F3 and RR engines. I don't have the tool kit though, I'll look into getting that before I do the plugs.

Any ideas about the fuel line?

Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mysticv6

Although this is my first bike, I've done a lot of work with my friends'. I've never worked on an F2 before, but I've done a decent amount on F3 and RR engines. I don't have the tool kit though, I'll look into getting that before I do the plugs.

Any ideas about the fuel line?

Take the old one off...(turn the gas petcock switch to off first...hehe)

Take the old, rubber fuel line to a general auto store...they should have some tubing you can match it up with.

"eyeball it"...meaning you should be able to look at the INNER diameter of the tubing and tell when you have the right size.

These fuel lines are again...pretty universal...meaning not a dealer part only.

You can also put a clamp around the new fuel line once attached back to the bike.

Again....don't over tighten...you might spilt the hose...depending what kind of rubber it is and whether it has any re-enforcing ribbing inside the rubber.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Take the old one off...(turn the gas petcock switch to off first...hehe)

Take the old, rubber fuel line to a general auto store...they should have some tubing you can match it up with.

"eyeball it"...meaning you should be able to look at the INNER diameter of the tubing and tell when you have the right size.

These fuel lines are again...pretty universal...meaning not a dealer part only.

You can also put a clamp around the new fuel line once attached back to the bike.

Again....don't over tighten...you might spilt the hose...depending what kind of rubber it is and whether it has any re-enforcing ribbing inside the rubber.

Thanks, that was pretty much my plan, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special about it before I did that.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Hey can you come work on my bike LOL !!!! you seem to be the "Bob Villa" of the F models, He He He