CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

smoke raseing from under the gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke raseing from under the gas tank

Alright, The guy Im buying my 93 F2 from said that after you ride for awhile and then stop at a stop light there is smoke riseing from under the gas tank, he has only rode it two time since he bought it and the owner befor him change the coolent and nothing else befor selling it to him. What could be making it smoke?? One person said the owner befor him might not have tighten the cap all the way. Also the owner befor him said that it didn't smoke befor he sold it.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 AM
Default RE: smoke raseing from under the gas tank

I is possible that the collant is dripping, but that would smell too....probally an oil leak that is dripping on the header, maybe the valve cover is not seated?? or it is the shift shaft or the engine cover is cracked?? who knows...I guess we need more info and it just needs to be looked at

Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 AM

Without seeing or smelling the smoke firsthand, I have no idea what's wrong, but assume this: It's probably a good idea NOT to ride the bike in case it's a leaking gas line or something...

You need a pro to see it in action. From a distance.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:44 PM

Alright, I talked to the guy again today.
He said there isn't any smell to the smoke and the smoke is white. Also he said it dosen't start to smoke tell it get hott, I hope all this info help.
What would be the sign of a valve cover not seated or a sign for the shift shaft or the engine cover is cracked?? Im picking the bike up on friday for $1000. I think it's a good deal but Im worry about the smoke becomeing a big problem.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:42 AM

Well for $1000 you can't expect it to be perfect...if it is white smoke it can be oil and only when it gets hot is because the gasket or whatever is leaking expands when it is hot allowing it to leak..I recommend taking it to a shop to locate the leak. It may be just annoying now, but could become a real problem later..it is not going to get better...only worse eventually..the Grand Canyon was created by a little flow and now look at it!!

Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 PM

My bike does that one too... but on my in leaking coolant on to the header from the oil cooler. may want to check that. If you do take it off new oil and new coolant will be needed. Im about to change out my oil and put in new seals. also on a side note if the bike does not have the lower farring on the front V will hit the header and burn a bit.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 PM

Hi Nipz
Alright, So I need to check the oil cooler? and if it's that Im going need to replace all the seals and oil cooler? If I take all the fairing off and look at the oil cooler would I be able to see it? One of the owner thinks it because the radiator cap wasn't tighten all the way. How much is it to replace? The lower farring is on the bike still. Could it be what sirlimpzalot said and I need to change the gasket?

Old 01-06-2005, 11:20 PM

were the oil cooler is....
the oil filter screw right in to the oil cooler. just check and see if it is leaking from there before taking it apart. this is going to be right behind the header.

best way to check it....
Take off side and lower fairrings... want to check the headers to make sure there nothing on them .... start bike see if it drips.... find out from were and what color the drop look like... if it drip from were the oil cooler it it most likely some gasket for the oil cooler...

The smoke i see is a very thin white... but it was from the coolent.....

as for what sirlimpzalot said yes! sirlimpzalot is one of the best tech on the board here. but the gasket that might be causeing this could be the oil cooler gasket so you need to check that... the oil cooler is easy to check jsut dont take it apart....

Also when was the last time the bike got a oil chang? if some one chang the oil and left a bit of oil on the header it would smoke for a bit.... but check the oil cooler....

ALSO PLZ keep up updated the board will help but we cant help if you dont keep up posted... Good luck

Nipz~

Old 01-07-2005, 12:19 AM

The oil is due for a oil change, Thats the frist thing Im doing. The owner befor the owner Im buying the bike off change the coolant befor he sold it and he think that some of the coolant drip on the engin when he change it, the guy Im buying the bike off has only ran the bike two time for only afew miles, My question is how long would it take for the coolant to burn off the engin?

Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 AM

sorry miss the seals question.....

seals can be from 1 - all of them. best thing to do is if it is leaking to look at the seal. if it look bad then replace it. if you not sure... replace it... if it look good then it probly good. if you do take apart the oil cooler it will dump all the oil and coolent.

Nipz~

Quick Reply: smoke raseing from under the gas tank