CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Right Side Tick! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/right-side-tick-151281/)

maniac1886 03-23-2014 11:09 AM

Right Side Tick!

New (kinda) to the CBR Forum. I own a katana so I hang out on the Katriders forum alot but I've been using this forum alot lately while working on my friends CBR F2.

Ok so here's the back story. My buddy got a 94 cbr 600 f2 with a bad shift fork. Being new to this style motor (I own a katana) I completely disassembled it from the top down not realizing I could just flip the motor over and pull the bottom of the case off. Anyway, I got the bike back together and started it. Got a wicked tick. Now the bike came with an ebay tranny and when we got into the transmission, all the gears looked great but the shift fork was baddd. So instead of swapping out the whole tranny, I took just the shift fork from the kit and put it in the tranny that was already in the bike. Now when I start it up I get a wicked tick. It has new spark plugs, the CCT seems to be working just fine. It holds tension on the chain, it doesnt retract even a little bit. When I put the head back on I checked the valves clearances. ( I did it kinda fast but nothing seemed out of spec). It has new spark plugs, right now its got the old exhaust gaskets in it but i got a new pair waiting for all the kinks to be worked out. I pulled the valve cover and its definitely getting oil. The sound seems to be coming from the lower right side. I tried pulling in the clutch, makes no difference. The chain isnt on it, but i ran through all the gears using the clutch with the bike running, no grinding or anything like that. There isnt any coolant in it, it hasnt ran longer than 3 minutes at a time and i didnt want to keep dumping it in the event that I needed access to the valves. Just about the only thing I havent done was pull the oil pan and look for metal. At this point Im afraid I spun a bearing, or the tranny gears are rubbing on the new fork. Any opinions or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Its just about riding season here in Michigan and I need to get his bike done so I can to working on my bike. Heres a youtube link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74W...ature=youtu.be

maniac1886 03-24-2014 09:36 PM

Well pulled the oil pan. Definitely no metal. Glad to know that there isnt a thrown rod bearing. The shift forks looked ok, but i couldnt see the outside ones very well but i dont see any shavings so im hoping its good. Putting the oil back in and Im gunna take another listen. Maybe drive it to the end of the driveway and see how it sounds in gear under torque.

maniac1886 03-26-2014 11:55 AM

Seriously? Almost 100 views and NOBODY has anything to say at all?

gtcole 03-26-2014 01:28 PM

I tried to watch the video but it wouldn't connect... Could ya reupload it or send me a direct link?

JamieDenny 03-26-2014 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by gtcole (Post 1268764)
I tried to watch the video but it wouldn't connect... Could ya reupload it or send me a direct link?

the link didnt work for me either

maniac1886 03-26-2014 03:02 PM

Try this. Thank you for responding and not simply "walking away" cuz the video didnt work.

gtcole 03-26-2014 04:06 PM

Cct is my bet. Sounds just like all the ones I've replaced. I know you would expect it to sound current but that's what mine have sounded like. Hopefully someone else will chime in and either confirm or give ya more ideas.

maniac1886 03-26-2014 05:03 PM

The CCT seemed to be functioning correctly. It would go out but not back in and when i checked the valves, the chain was nice and tight between the cam sprockets. Im starting to think it is something to do with the clutch. I put a mechanics stethoscope on it and it sounds like the sound is farther back. I will def take your suggestion into consideration when i go back out there to check it out.

maniac1886 03-27-2014 02:51 PM

well I went out and put a stethoscope on it. the cct sounds good. I can hear its rattle but its not the same noise. if I put the stethoscooe on the clutch cover I hear my tick loud and clear. I put the stethoscope on the oil pan under the clutch and still loud and clear. if I put it anywhere on the left side it is very faint. I'm confident its not a rod bearing and it seems like if it was the tranny rubbing on the new shift fork there would be metal shavings in the oil pan and there was not. soooo I'm thinking now it's in the clutch. I pulled the clutch cover off and there is alot of space between the clutch discs and the retaining plate that bolts to the basket. I.don't think there is supposed to be that much play so I'm thinking I'm going to pull the clutch apart and look for signs of a tick

coolbluedab 07-15-2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by maniac1886 (Post 1268780)
Cbr 600 F2 Ticking noise - YouTube

Try this. Thank you for responding and not simply "walking away" cuz the video didnt work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74WCcZ3kDg

what was this sound? I have the same but louder in my f4i, also some brass/gold shavings in oil.