CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Rad empty but coolant tank full ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need an F3 wiring harness, and you'll have to either remove the TPS from the F3 carbs, notch the F2 frame for the TPS, or put the F2 carbs on the F3 motor.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
You'll need an F3 wiring harness, and you'll have to either remove the TPS from the F3 carbs, notch the F2 frame for the TPS, or put the F2 carbs on the F3 motor.
thanks, I have spent HOURS searching on here and found load of opinions and half finished posts but no one who seems to have completed actually completed the swap. a google brings up the general theory that the F3 engine can be directly swapped with an F2 if everything else remains F2 such as carbs, wiring, dials etc...

The only technical issue is the extra two hoses for the carb heating but these can be blocked at the water pump and block if using F2 carbs.

So in theory if it is just the engine and transmission I could drop it straight in, the problem is I don't like theories it would be nice to know if someone on here has completed before.

thanks

Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieDenny
Aaarrrrggghhhhh !!!!

Just did coolant flush and looked like a bit I oil was on the surface of the water. Stay calm I told myself, it may be the pump or oil cooler o rings. Decided to run it for a bit and there are now bubbles in the expansion tank !!!.
Well that's the head gasket then ( tell me if there is any other straws I can clutch at). I will have to keep my fingers crossed it isn't warped or cracked but knowing my luck.
Oh and it's also loosing oil which I think is another sign. Nothing showing in oil yet and the coolant isn't milky.
Today is the first day without rain where I live in the uk. I'm off to find some beer.
That sucks man. You're right though, your head gasket is essentially done. I'm sorry to hear about that. If it makes you feel any better, my Bronco did the same thing a few weeks ago....

Any reason to not replace the head gasket? You seem pretty mechanically inclined. It's just a lot of cleaning and tedious work if you have enough sockets (and a way to clean the head/case).

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM

it does suck indeed.

Sorry I haven't put all the info up (there is another thread in the tech section). I have found oil on the threads of the plugs (engine is loosing oil as well) and it has lost power. I dont fancy getting into rings and pistons to find out there is another unit.

A leak down tester f3 1996 engine is available for £300 over here, I can do the valve clearance check etc whilst on the bench and throw it back in again.

I will eventually rebuild the F2 engine as its a useful skill to have but I want to get back on the road and the f3 with warranty is just cheaper. I just need to find out if anyone has dropped an f3 whilst keeping everything else f2.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely no theories, regarding the engine swapability - if you are using the F2 carbs and F2 wiring harness, then the only other thing to address, is something you already mentioned - the carb heater hoses needing to be blocked - after that, it's a direct bolt-up.

The only complication comes when wanting to keep the F3 carbs on, though obviously, if you do use the F2 carbs, you might have to make some fueling adjustments, in terms of pilot screw settings, and maybe even jet sizes.

One other thing - the F3 takes it's speedo signal from the gearbox, and though you won't need this, you'll probably want to make sure the speedo sensor assembly is at least present on the F3 motor, to keep that sealed up.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 03-17-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieDenny
it does suck indeed.

Sorry I haven't put all the info up (there is another thread in the tech section). I have found oil on the threads of the plugs (engine is loosing oil as well) and it has lost power. I dont fancy getting into rings and pistons to find out there is another unit.

A leak down tester f3 1996 engine is available for £300 over here, I can do the valve clearance check etc whilst on the bench and throw it back in again.

I will eventually rebuild the F2 engine as its a useful skill to have but I want to get back on the road and the f3 with warranty is just cheaper. I just need to find out if anyone has dropped an f3 whilst keeping everything else f2.
Oh! Well if they're that cheap, buy one, throw 'er in, then twist your wrist and go!!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Definitely no theories, regarding the engine swapability - if you are using the F2 carbs and F2 wiring harness, then the only other thing to address, is something you already mentioned - the carb heater hoses needing to be blocked - after that, it's a direct bolt-up.

The only complication comes when wanting to keep the F3 carbs on, though obviously, if you do use the F2 carbs, you might have to make some fueling adjustments, in terms of pilot screw settings, and maybe even jet sizes.

One other thing - the F3 takes it's speedo signal from the gearbox, and though you won't need this, you'll probably want to make sure the speedo sensor assembly is at least present on the F3 motor, to keep that sealed up.
you my friend are a hero, so here we go F3 engine it is.

This bike has quickly become a whole heap of work but for some reason i just cant give up on it. I have now turned it into a restoration project and fallen for the red bull colours so maybe one day I will have a build post as legendary as yours !

Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Oh! Well if they're that cheap, buy one, throw 'er in, then twist your wrist and go!!
exactly, lets get it done

Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM

the sensor is there, in fact the only thing has been removed is starter, would the f2 starter be ok ?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 PM

ok picked up new engine, it was complete and even included coolant hoses which might be useful. the thermostat sensor is broken but they are £15 so not the end of the world.

Then I pull the plugs....you have to be kidding me !!! there is oil on the rings of these plugs as well. At least on cylinders 1,2 & 3 great so a possible valve gasket or I could be onto another bad engine.
this one was n F3 1996 with 20k on the clock (half the mileage of my f2)

looks like i will be doing the 6 hour round trip to take it back then !.

Quick Reply: Rad empty but coolant tank full ?