CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Project: Downtime

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Downtime

So I recently moved to Northern California with my job. After getting here and seeing the number of bikes here I worked out a deal with my wife to get me a project. I'm waiting on some training to start so I have about 2 months of nothing to do. In the mean time I purchased a 1992 CBR600F2 for $400. It's been laid over into a tree, and needs some serious TLC.

This is how I picked it up:

I immediately started the tear down/ inspection phase. I started by giving the bike a very detailed look over to determine the major parts I would need to get the bike street legal. Here are some preliminary pics

Some of the major components I found are:
Headlight
Gauges
Radiator
Turn signals
Tank
Rearsets
Start switches
Brake connection
Clutch handle

Those are the items I know for certain I'm going to need. The bike runs... but it needs a new throttle tube so it starts out fine and slowly revs up on its own. I've had the battery out so I cant mess with the cables right now. Most of the work I've done has been primarily cleaning and inspection for further damage.
I've found a number of hack job fixes and some minor mods as well. The front brake lines are a set of SS braided lines and equal length dual lines. The rear brake line is also been replaced. This weekend I spent a lot of time removing the front brakes and lines cleaning them and checking the their functionality. I've also noticed copious amounts of grease and gunk all over the forks. Enough talk here's a few pics.
Here are the brakes and lines
Name:  IMG_1017.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1019.jpg
Size:  235.8 KB
This is after I cleaned the lines and removed the dried out clear coverings

I cleaned and painted the right side caliper, and pictured the left one for comparison

These are the forks before cleaning

And after

I also drained the oil which obviously needed changing

I was wondering if I need to replace this waterpump or if it can be cleaned up and used?

Also, is this right? it looks like the stay should fit in that slot but, I'm not sure?

I'll try to keep this updated as much as possible.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. the brake thing goes in that slot. I would replace the water pump. Get yourself a Clymer manual or Haynes manual. It will keep you straighten out on stuff. Worth their weight in gold.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've definitely got some work ahead of you... good luck!

If you pull the back wheel, and loosen and remove the lower, rear-most bolt on the caliper, you can locate the square boss on the caliper carrier, in the slot on the swing arm, and just pivot the caliper/pads up and out of the way, while you put the wheel back on. It can seem like kinda of a pain at first, since that carrier unit also acts as a wheel spacer - in other words, if you cuss, you WILL cuss a bit the first time you get it back together, but the more you do it, the quicker and more proficient you'll become.

Also, welcome to the site - you'll find a lot of good info/ideas, and there are a lot of us who have had significant experience with the F2, who can answer some questions.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, more than willing to help with getting you the right info with others on getting this rolling. Is the frame straight or look straight?

But I disagree with Frank though, get a 'Honda F2 Service Manual', you can find them on Amazon or ebay. The torque specs are usually off on secondary manuals(Clymers & Haynes) and more detailed description in the Honda Service Manual.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. The frame seems straight and clean. I've got a digital copy of the service manual, but I'll get a hard copy as well. I'm going to look into a water pump today.

There's a small black **** looking thing under the left side of the tank, anyone know what it is?

Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, that is your reserve, off and on petcock fuel ****. ALWAYS make sure that is pointed down for the 'ON' position and up is your 'Reserve', Left is your 'Off'.

Last edited by underground-mpyre; 09-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Titus, most of us here like build/re-build threads. Please post up as much as you want. Hopefully, you'll get the help you need sorting out issues & advice on mods.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM

I know about the petcock ****, so I got a picture of what I'm talking about.
Name:  IMG_1011.jpg
Size:  115.4 KB
I have no idea what this is...

Old 09-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Idle adjustment.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, what ever, Get some type of manual, The main thing is it shows you how everything goes together and comes apart. The official Honda Service Manual I have doesn't have everything in it like the Clymer manual does. But either way, get one.

Quick Reply: Project: Downtime