CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Paper Washers Under Rotors?

Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paper Washers Under Rotors?

What the purpose of these things and are they required? The reason I'm asking is because I have the Ferodo 310mm oversize brake kit I want to install and one of my F2's dont have them and one of them does. Will it matter if they're not there? Should I make my own out of "thick paper"? I also have the Triumph (310mm) rotors for the "other F2" but I need to carve of copy of the Ferodo brackets with a bandsaw and belt sander and space them out with washers. Just wondering, I cant seem to find any info on these "paper washers" and if it matters whether they're needed or not. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anti-vibration dampeners. I suppose their main purpose is to reduce/prevent squeal. And I don`t suppose they`re really mandatory as I also don`t suppose they`re really doing that much at all, specially after being squished in there for twenty some years...

Last edited by Mattson; 12-09-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:09 PM

Thats what I was thinking also. They are kind of expensive if needed. And 12 would be needed which would add up. Paper washer..........WTF!

Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the caliper relocation brackets? Or are you making them?

Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM

I got the complete kit, 310mm rotors and brackets from..........."wait for it"..........ebay! They were there for about 3 weeks, I couldnt believe no one snagged them. So I did. I'm going to make a copy of the brackets by hand, for the other F2. And they will be easier to make than those EBC brackets that we've all been waiting for the specs on. A bandsaw, beltsander, drill and a few washers & bolts, is all I'll need.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I got the complete kit, 310mm rotors and brackets from..........."wait for it"..........ebay! They were there for about 3 weeks, I couldnt believe no one snagged them. So I did. I'm going to make a copy of the brackets by hand, for the other F2. And they will be easier to make than those EBC brackets that we've all been waiting for the specs on. A bandsaw, beltsander, drill and a few washers & bolts, is all I'll need.
What is actually different about the two brackets?? I may have access to an EBC set but I need cash first, lol.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM

The EBC brackets, theres more material and radius' etc. The EBC's are more robust looking. I guess you wouldnt need a CNC milling machine as long as you got the mounting hole in the right place and milled the offset depth correct. But if you wanted to copy them exact you'd need CNC. As far as the Ferodo set not being as robust. I'm sure they would not have sold subpar products. I'm completely confident they are plenty strong. And to make a set of the Ferodos, all you need is some half inch flatbar aluminum, trace them out, cut them with a band saw, drill the mounting hole in the right places, space them out the proper offset with washers. Since you have access to the EBC set I would grab them while you had the chance. How much are they asking for them?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM

Well, I discovered that those "paper washers" are a gasket type material. So I'm going to go to the local auto parts store and get sheet gasket material 1/64" thickness. And cut them out myself. 1/64" is .015 of an inch thick, so I believe it will work. Update on the caliper relocation brackets. I have a set finished, I just need to gather up bolts, nuts, etc. The local hardware store dont have everything I need.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:42 AM

I took them off my '92 when I had the wheels powder coated and didn't notice any difference at all with them out. I doubt seriously that they are necessary. More of a "creature comfort" if you ask me. I'm guessing they're not on GP bikes.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM

I'm just guessing but I would think they're probably not on anything with floating rotors. I'll have to look in my shop manuals for the 08 cbr 1000rr and 06 cbr 600rr, to see if they're in the diagrams and pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paper Washers Under Rotors?