CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

oil change, now tranny ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change, now tranny ??

I did my own oil change over the weekend. Replaced filters and filled her back up with Honda oil. Now, I go to ride thismorning and the clutch is acting funny. I've got the clutch all the way in, but, the bike still moves forward slightly and smells like the tranny is burning. Not sure if that's what it is, but, has anyone else had this prob? I'd like to see if there is something i can do before I have to take it into the shop. Thanks in advance.

Tylor

Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil change, now tranny ??

The burning smell is likely from the oil that got spilled on the exhaust.

The bike jumping in the morning is completely normal - especially when the weather cools off... oil gets between the clutch plates and is really sticky when cold. When you put it in gear the oil has enough hold to put some power to the rear wheel.

If you hold the clutch in while you warm up it will reduce this... but it's just part of riding.

That being said - what oil have you used? what oil had you been using? How long have you had the bike? How much oil did you put in?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: woot

The burning smell is likely from the oil that got spilled on the exhaust.

The bike jumping in the morning is completely normal - especially when the weather cools off... oil gets between the clutch plates and is really sticky when cold. When you put it in gear the oil has enough hold to put some power to the rear wheel.

If you hold the clutch in while you warm up it will reduce this... but it's just part of riding.

That being said - what oil have you used? what oil had you been using? How long have you had the bike? How much oil did you put in?
Yeah, the smell has gone, so, that was the oil. As to the bike jumping in the morning when the weather is cool, i've had the bike for 2 years now and never had that problem. As to holding the clutch when starting, it helped, but, something else I noticed riding home from work, while at a redlight holding the clutch, if i did a quick rev on the throttle to about 2k-3k rpm it started to roll back, like it should with the clutch pulled in. HMMMM

Now, to answer your questions, I used the Honda 10w40 oil i picked up at my local honda dealer. WHat oil did I use? I"m not sure honostly. I have always taken it to my local mechanic and gone back later to pick it up. I've had the bike 2 years, and, i put about 3.7 quarts of oil.

I did notice, everytime I got my bike back from the mechanic after getting the oil changed, i would check the dip stick, and, it always was on the mark at the bottom of the stick. But, after putting in the 3+ quarts, the oils' over half way up the dip stick. Did I goof? Let me know please. THanks in advance again

Tylor

Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 AM

I don't have a dipstick to look at BUT if the oil is over the max fill line then yes you have to fix that. If you don't then interesting things can happen, depending on how your bike is built. It can shoot the extra oil up the crankcase vent hose into your airbox... or it can get to high a preasure and push gaskets out. Or if it's only a little bit then you'll likely have no issues.

If this is an issue fix it first. To remove extra oil people have used clear hose and/or turkey basters... you can also try your luck with the drain bolt but that isn't very finess.

--

Cold oil can cause the clutch to stick and give a jerk in the morning... after the oil is warm you shouldn't feel this symptom at all. If you do then I would suspect the clutch cable. I would not suspect the clutch as a failing clutch tends to slip, not bite.

The other possibility is that the dealer has adjusted the clutch cable. Check the slack and make sure the clutch is able to fully disengage. With the engine off after a ride does the bike role properly when you hold the clutch in (while in gear)?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:33 AM

The bike worked great Friday, then, I did the oil change myself this past weekend, and, now I am running into this situation. I read online that the F2 uses about 3.7 quarts of oil. Is that not correct? I don't suspect the clutch at all, cause, as I said, it worked fine Friday, and, it doesn't slip. It's grabbing. Hmmmm. Anybody else got any thoughts? I will try to syphin out some of the oil and see if that's the problem.

Tylor

Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Just check the oil level first. I don't ever use the 3.7 quart method for more than a guideline. For me if it looks low I add more, if it looks high I stop adding more. If it's really high, and I have done this once, I take some out.

The clutch cable if it is too long will have this behaviour. If the cable is too long it won't fully seperate the clutch plates... and as a result it won't fully stop power going to the rear wheel (especially when cold).

Check both things first... then worry about other things.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:39 PM

I'm going to remove some oil tonight when I get home. See how that works

As to the clutch, it worked fine Friday and I didn't touch the clutch adjustments at all. Also, since it's not full disengaging the clutch, without revving the motor to at least 2k rpm, i can't shift outa first into neutral when I'm stopped.

Tylor

Old 11-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Check the oil level before changing it... it sounds as if you know it's overfilled or are assuming I know what I'm talking about.

Test the clutch to see if it is fully disengaging or not. Check the clutch cable slack. Things don't tend to change over a weekend...

EITHER

A) The cable has been stretching for a long time (normal) and you only just noticed it due to the other unrelated symptoms (burning oil on exhaust) and possibly related symptoms of dragging.

B) The cable got adjusted inadvertantly when doing the oil change.

C) It has nothing to do with the cable and we'll have to look elsewhere AFTER we resolve the oil fill issue.

---

Also remember different oils will feel different... if this oil is thicker it would make a stretched clutch cable more noticable at cold tempatures.

All I'm trying to say is go slow, resolve one issue at a time... I don't want you to feel I'm telling you the answer because without riding your bike I have no way of telling what exactly is going on... all I can do is guess from my past experiences.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM

Hey, i appreciate any help you can offer. I'm just saying that on Friday, there was no problem with the clutch. It fully disengaged when I pulled the clutch in. I didn't realize that thicker oil would change the pressure on the clutch, espcially if it's overfilled[:@](my fault) and, didn't realize that would make a difference in feeling out a stretched clutch cable. I'll go home tonight, check the oil, and, if overfilled, which, i'm almost certain it is and that you do know what you're talking about, i'll take some oil out and go for a ride to see if that fixed it. Let ya know

Tylor

Old 11-29-2006, 01:51 AM

ah, experience is the best teacher. i am here to solve all your oil issues. the burning u smelled is just spilled oil, next time when doin oil change try to get foil or something under there so oil doesnt fall on the pipes. itz gonna burn for a while so when u get a chance hose it down with some soapy water (gets rid of any oil residue) now the 3.7 quarts or what ever is accurate for a completly drained engine. but itz near imposible to get all the old oil out. so when addin the new oil, it will be far less than 3.7 quarts . now too much oil is bad cuz i believe the cable is lubricated by the engine oil or something of that nature( too tired to look it up) but when i was over the limit the level was about half way up the stick. you will experience difficulty finding neutral , and changing gears tends to be very clanky. i used joint up straws to suck some of the excess oil out untill itz at the second line of the dip stick and you should be fine. check it again after you run the motor, you might have to reduce some more. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: oil change, now tranny ??