CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

OIL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL

Im about to change my oil so i bought the oil and the filter today and for the oil i bought the honda brand 10w-40. the service manual says to use something with sf or sg. the only honda oil they had was sj. what does that stand for and is it okay to use. the bottle says it is good for use in all honda motorcycles so thats why i bought it and plus i didnt wanna spend 15 bucks a quart on mobil one

Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Default RE: OIL

I have no idea what those letter abbreviations mean, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. I always ran conventional automotive Casterol 10w-40 and didn't have any trouble. Though I must have been feeling rich yesterday because I put Amsoil fully synthetic motorcycle oil in my bike.
All the oil debates are dumb. So long as its the right weight, you really aren't going to have any problems. Some people will yell and scream to never use oil meant for cars, and I personally don't think thats as big of a demon they make it out to be. So if the oil you have is firstly branded HONDA and secondly is specifically formulated for MOTORCYCLES I fail to see what there is to worry about.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 AM

For the question aboutSG, SJ, and etc...

API Service Classifications
The American Petroleum Institute (API) has standardized a series of service classifications for motor oils. An oil is run in laboratory engines to determine its resistance to wear, oxidation, corrosion and deposit formation, as well as its overall ability to lubricate. Oils for gasoline engines have service classifications beginning with an "S" (for Service) and followed by a letter "A" through "L" to indicate increasing performance levels. Oils for diesel engines have service classifications beginning with "C" (for Commercial) and followed by a letter "A" through "I." Classifications CG, CH and CI are followed by the number 4: CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4. The "S" and "C" prefixes of the service classifications do not stand for "spark" (gasoline engines) and "compression" (diesel engines), as is sometimes thought.
hope that helps

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 AM

thanks alot guys im sure it wont be a big deal which oil to use. i will be changing it every year

Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Then you definately don't ANYTHING synthetic. The only thing synthetics do better than dead dinosaurs is last longer. If you don't go longer between oil changes you are throwing money away. The scientists have proved it. The marketing departments at the oil companies are geniouses at convincing people to pay more for something they don't really need.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 AM

i have a question.

when checking your oil i know you must have the bike centered but which line on the dipstick is full? is it the line in the middle of the little thing or the top?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM

you want it to be between the two lines and dont screw the dipstick in when you check it

Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM

ok thanks alot smitty!