CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Now WTF!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now WTF!?!?

After changing the plugs due to some occasionaly low RPM hesitation and sputtering the bike won't rev past 10-11k!!! I have no clue what could be going on here.I also changed to an APE manual cam chain tensioner but this has to be fuel or spark, right?

What could be going on here? Someone mentioned the petcock might be bad...?

Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Default RE: Now WTF!?!?

Plug wires??? And did you gap the plugs right? My NGK's came pre'gapped

Old 05-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Yea I guess it could possibly be the wires, CDI box, coils, something in the carbs, petcock, or bad plugs but it did not do this at high RPM before I changed the plugs, removed the airbox and sprayed a very little bit of carb cleaner in each carb, and installed that cam chain tensioner.

Plugs are gapped to .035, maybe I'll try like .030 or something? The only thing I can think of is this petcock but I took it apart tonight and saw nothing strange...

While is doesn't run perfect, at lower RPM's it seems to be just fine.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 AM

.35 Is where its supposed to be your not wrong on that one. When the bike doesn't go past 10-11k...what does it sound like? If the petcock is bad i would imagine you would have worse fuel problems...but what most have suggested is that you take the petcock apart..and lightly clean it before putting it back together....some have said problems have disappeared for them after doing so

Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 AM

Get a clean container to hold gasoline and make an adapter to connect the conntainer directly to your fuel hose going into the engine (after removing your tank of course). In your garage run the motor that way with absolutely NO restriction in fuel delivery. If she runsbetter that way then look at fuel delivery problems. If not then you can move on totoubleshooting other things. I've learned the hard/expensive way to check everything you can from cheapest/easiest on up to the expensive/hard stuff. Don't waste your money and energyfixing things that aren't broke. MAKE SURE that what you're fixing needs to be fixed.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Yea I took the petcock apart already and put it back on with no significant change. I planned to just remove the diaphram inside the petcock altogether and run it that way to see if that is the culprit...I mean the thing is extremely simple!!!

IfI were to hook up a seperate fuel tank like mentioned above what should I do with the vacuum reference line from the #1 carb to the petcock?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Got it! At least for now...
Either the fuel line was pinched (more likely) or the air filter was too oily. I'll have to track down a new line since putting the fuel on/off/res valve where it needs to be in relation to the fairing pinches the line. Right now the air filter is still off (I did both of those at once which isn't good for diagnosis) but it does seem a bit too oily (UNI filter very similar to a K&N).

Thanks for everyones help and support, I really appreciate it!!

On to the clutch...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Your having clutch problems too?! Damn man....good luck

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Yea clutch slips at about 11k. Got the plates jsut need to get the oil, filter, locknut, and gasket and hopefully it goes smoother than everything else...

Thanks for the luck, I'm sure I'll need it.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: tazshido
I've learned the hard/expensive way to check everything you can from cheapest/easiest on up to the expensive/hard stuff. Don't waste your money and energyfixing things that aren't broke. MAKE SURE that what you're fixing needs to be fixed.[sm=signs003.gif]
best advice ever