CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

No Title - New Frame, New Title?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Title - New Frame, New Title?

A friend recently gifted me his (what I believe to be) 91 CBR F2 project. This bike has not moved in 10 years, so I have changed the oil, plugs, cleaned the gas tank, and just finishing up cleaning the carbs. The only problem is, he doesn't have the title, and there are no VIN #'s where they should be on the bike according to the manual. It did have a license plate on it but the DMV could find no record (it was from 1998). My next idea is to just buy an ebay frame for it with a clean title, as I was planning on taking it apart to repaint anyway. Will this solve the title issue? I don't want to put any money into it until I know I can register and ride it. Thanks for any insight.

-Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Wondering the same thing. Got a '94 F2 with no title. Thought about doing a frame swap to solve this. But have the same question as you.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Yes, a new frame would equal new title. I wouldn't recommend telling the insurance co. that you did a frame swap... they don't like that stuff plus they would require inspection. Just pretend you are insuring the "new frame" as if it was bought as a complete bike.

might be a waste of time/money.... I would try REALLY hared to get the original frame licensed before going the new frame route.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM

i had to deal with this with my bike. except for mine has a vin on it. what i did was get a bonded title. its actually not that hard. first, go to the dmv and tell them that you bought a motorcycle with a missing title and that you need to get the paperwork for bonding it.

then, fill out the paperwork(get a bill of sale for some amount). then call a bonding agency. it will cost about $120 or so. then get the bike inspected by the dmv for roadworthiness.

after all that is finished, you can take the paperwork to the tag place and they will give you a tag and send your paperwork off for a bonded title. theres no difference in the bonded title and a regular one except it says bonded, and i think you cant sell the bike for 3 years.

o....make sure the bike isnt stolen or anything first.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM

I don't know if the bonded title will work since there is no VIN on the bike. I will try to do some more research to see if they can dig up more info on it. If I do go the new frame route though, do I have to take the bike to the DMV? Or just bring the paperwork and transfer it without the bike there? I've hear they might check the Vin against the serial #'s, but that they only do that sometimes if it's a salvage title. I'm positive the bike isn't stolen, he got it from his brother who bought it new in 91, gave him the bike in 98...and then it sat. For 10 years. It would be a waste to junk it or part it out, it's pretty clean aside from the crappy fairings...Maybe I will buy a clean title frame and try to title it before I tear into it, if they won't let me then just resell the frame...Thanks for the info guys.

BTW MBU your bike looks like exactly what I want to do to mine, fighter style. As minimal as possible...tho I'm thinking gun metal grey metallic for the frame and wheels. That's waaaay off in the future of course..ha

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM

if his brother bought it new, then all you have to do is get him to go down to the dmv and file for a lost title. then when he gets the new title he can just sign it over to you.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM

My bike had no vin plate. i went to the DMV and they did an inspection and gave me a state supplied vin number. the bike is now registered as a kit bike, instead of a honda cbr 600, but it has a title now

Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by theCannibal
I don't know if the bonded title will work since there is no VIN on the bike. I will try to do some more research to see if they can dig up more info on it. If I do go the new frame route though, do I have to take the bike to the DMV? Or just bring the paperwork and transfer it without the bike there? I've hear they might check the Vin against the serial #'s, but that they only do that sometimes if it's a salvage title. I'm positive the bike isn't stolen, he got it from his brother who bought it new in 91, gave him the bike in 98...and then it sat. For 10 years. It would be a waste to junk it or part it out, it's pretty clean aside from the crappy fairings...Maybe I will buy a clean title frame and try to title it before I tear into it, if they won't let me then just resell the frame...Thanks for the info guys.

BTW MBU your bike looks like exactly what I want to do to mine, fighter style. As minimal as possible...tho I'm thinking gun metal grey metallic for the frame and wheels. That's waaaay off in the future of course..ha
i want your old fairings if you get new ****

Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM

They R junk, you don't want them. All busted up w bondo on the cowl...plus no lower front fairings. Soooooper crappy! But, I can post pics of the stuff if you still want them.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State issued vin?

Originally Posted by halffast1g
My bike had no vin plate. i went to the DMV and they did an inspection and gave me a state supplied vin number. the bike is now registered as a kit bike, instead of a honda cbr 600, but it has a title now
How much did that cost? And what State?

Quick Reply: No Title - New Frame, New Title?