CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New throttle cables binding

Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Default New throttle cables binding

Hey guys. I've been doing a bunch of little things to my old girl this year and one is new throttle cables. I got them off ebay and they seem to be the same exact length. They're an off brand but new. So hears the thing, they're a little stiff when the carbs are off but move okay. I pop the carbs on and they bind really bad. Like I can hardly make the throttle work. It's never been great even with the old cables. So I thought maybe they where routed wrong. Tried putting them around be front of the work so the cable would be smoother and while a tiny but better it's still no good. They almost seem to long so I do believe they're not routed right. Does anyone have a pic of how they go or a good description or any other ideas? It's not the springs as throttle is snappy as can be off the bike. No bar ends so it's not that. I greased the bar when the throttle was off so not that. Any other ideas would be great. The weather is finally nice and I want to ride but can't put her back together til I get this solved. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Welcome Crew

Have you tried puling the cable ends when they are off the bike? That's how I check for internal resistance. Just grab and eyelet and push/pull to ensure the cable slides freely through the jacket before hooking it up to anything.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by gtcole View Post
Have you tried puling the cable ends when they are off the bike? That's how I check for internal resistance. Just grab and eyelet and push/pull to ensure the cable slides freely through the jacket before hooking it up to anything.
Yeah they move fine off the bike. I think it's the cable rubbing on the jacket that's causing it but I can't see how to route them any straighter.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM

When I did my cables - I found that routing made a big difference. Even though I swore I routed them exactly the way the old ones came off, I had binding. Then I reattached them with a slightly different routing and everything was wonderful, and has been since.

Unfortunately I haven't had a reason to service anything under there in 2 years so I don't have a picture that I can share - at least I don't think.