CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

new, or recover my old seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new, or recover my old seat?

any body have ideas about recovering a stock 93 CBR F2 seat ?? can i get gel for my seat ?? do i have to get a new seat for gel ?? stay w/black for cover??

Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: new, or recover my old seat?

I took my 86 Ninja seat to an upholster shop and had it recovered... used synthetic leather that's made for boats. So it holds up to weather better and only charged me $50. The foam was bad/missing in a few spots so he fixed that also. Filled in the bad areas with foam and used a thin layer to cover all of it to make it look good flawless.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:47 PM

thanks, upolsterer is good idea have a few here locally.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM

I would stick with black too, unless you can find a could colour that compliments the bike. other colours usually look naff.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Retired Administrator

I agree... black will be your best option.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upholsterors never die, they always recover !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! may I interject?????? some say "gel" can stay hot (transfer heat" longer than foam, when the bike is left in the sun.
Iv'e had good luck w/ hollowing out the foam, from the under side( remove foam ,from pan). Then"building up a piece of rebond foam, 1" to 1/2" from the orig. top of the seat use elect. turkey slicer or heavely serrated bread knife ( both, thrift store cheap!) 3m glue, or trusted imatation. to stick it all togather. Be more cocerned at the "rebond insert making good contact w/ in hollowed out orig seat foam, it's easier to trim the "bottom flat" or proper shape, to fit the pan,after the glue is set. Rebond can be found cheap at upholstry shops, as trimmed chunks,(reglue to shape you need) or look for a loose piece from a sports or wieght bench recovery job. Felt pens, mark well on foam. I have a 84 100f interceptor, that would reduce me to tears, after 200 miles, now 400+ is reasonable, no tears!!!!!!!
Marine material, is uv stabilized, and does last longer. some comes in a type called soft back, w/ a much "softer face" and back . it generaly is more suceptable to rips, snags (boots) ect. 50$, is way cheaper, than i ever recoverd a street seat for, good deal!!!!!!! I had my own upholstry shop for 8+ yrs. Just like corbins/sargents !!!!!!!!!! It really shouldn't cost much more to do a "wild seat,too often over looked, or subtly complementery welt cord color, or "different perf. material, on the seat area. you may even match the body color and get a "cowl look"on the pillon section. If i can answer any Q's, I'd be glad to. Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:01 PM

thanks, took my seat to the local upolsterer, he is also does boat and awning covers had all the trick colors and materials, i went with a black marine type material, he also redid the foam for me, $100.00 all said and done ill post the pics of it when i get the seat back thanks again!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 02:56 AM

CW, all right!!!!!!! it's amazing how get'n a seat done, just feels great!!!!!!!!!(pun intended) It really continues the flow of the bike from front to rear, check out a chopper w/ the "wrong" or a thrashed seat ,in need of recovery. YUK!!!!!!!

I got blessed(again!!!) about 4 or 5 mo. ago, I scored one of those extra pillion pad cafe/racer cowl look'n seats, off ebay for 35$, now i got the hots to recover it, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know any thing about these seats, I think its a corbin, w/ a back rest???, It has what looks like a extra pad lying on top of the pillon portion, unlike the "normal cobin"(love it)I'm ride'n w/ now.

If a person were to go to an upholstry materials biz, you might spark some interesting options, last year, they came out w/ "carbon pattern" material, along w/ chameleon colors, to add to pearl white ect. CAUTION... always look at your color choices out side in the sun, esp. if your matching colors on your bike. Oh, bring your bike along too, if your matching a paint color,'cause its amazing how colors"change " once you have bought 'em!!!!!!

Foam densitys, w/ welt cords,or w/o. disapearing weltcords(tapering) 'cause welts ,crossing under a thigh, is a drag on a even med. length ride. lowering the seat foam for better footing at lights, about anything is possible. Real cobra skin flames, Bonzia flag, names, initials, stripes to match body work,(i need to make a color match "bra" for my black/ white 94) tank bibs,fairing "bras", "cbr,w/ honda wing, on your bike cover, cool!!!!! there are some awsomely wild colors, in jet ski material too!!!!!!! Ive done seats in awning material, and combed second hand stores, for leather jackets to cut up, for just the "right look". GO FOR IT!!!!! Upholsterors, love to make challenging products and a true chance to "express" there craft. "if I never see another camper cusion,again..."

About Quality of work, hold'm to it, if there unable to provide, tell'm take there cover off, dont pay and go elsewhere. Hopfully you have got a "feel" for there competancy first. If there are stipes to line up, provide the bike to allow him the oppertunity to "line up" every thing, enable him to do a good job, if he dosen't seem "into it" initialy, go elsewhere, FAST!!!!!!!!

I hope I have inspired you to consider, "scribbling outside the lines" Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!! Ripp'n

Old 03-21-2006, 01:08 PM

check out this site:

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/honda86.htm

they sell seat covers, in different designs already. they are a bit pricey but i dont know how that would compare to an upholsterer, just thought i would share if any of you have never seen these.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:39 AM

There is a seller on ebay that makes custom seat covers for our bikes in a wide variety of materials and covers. I ordered one already but haven't had it come in yet. When I put it on and get my bike finished up I'll post some pics.

Quick Reply: new, or recover my old seat?