CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

new guy =P

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy =P

Hey everyone,

Picking up my 91 CBR600 F2 tomorrow morning, getting a prebuyers inspection then closing the deal! Its my first bike and im so very excited!

Anyone have any tips, anything to keep an eye open for?

thanks

Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Default RE: new guy =P

welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 PM

welcome to the forum and congrats on the bike!

Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 AM

have fun man i have had a 92 for 3 months now and i love it more and more...i have taken it to the track and riddin it about 2000 miles already and poping wheelies and taking corners fast....lots of fun but ride safe and fast

Old 06-04-2006, 02:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Talos

Hey everyone,

Picking up my 91 CBR600 F2 tomorrow morning, getting a prebuyers inspection then closing the deal! Its my first bike and im so very excited!

Anyone have any tips, anything to keep an eye open for?

thanks
You asked for tips, this is what I tell all my friends when they get bikes and they come over asking what's up.................
Get some protective gear, leathers, gloves, the works. Someone on this forum said you "Dress for the crash, not for the ride"
That is absolutly the smartest thing I have ever read.

Well it were me picking up a 15 year old bike from a private seller, first things I would do no matter what the seller told me unless he had receipts to prove it was already done recently, as in 45 days of me buying the bike:

1. Change the fork oil, F2's have mushy front ends any way even with compression screws turned all the way in. I would change the fluid least of all, and if you weigh more than 150 lbs, I'd shop around for better springs. Fresh fluid will ensure you have no moisture in there which could pit the fork tubes and cause seal failure. Stiffer suspension will make the bike handle better. If you don't want to buy new springs, preload them with a piece of PVC dropped down into the fork tubes and then reinstall the springs.

2. Change the engine oil, so you know it is fresh, and also so you learn to remove the Fairings.

3. Change the clutch and brake master cylinder fluid. Should be changed once a year anyway, at least in my mind. If your fluid in the sight glass is dark, it's old and needs to go.The fluid will draw moisture out of the air over time and could cause piston wear or pitting in the brake calipers. Fresh fluid is cheap insurance. Also if the battery is more than a year old, or hasn't been charged every two weeks while the bike sat idle, **** can the battery and get a new one, and charge it before you install it.

4. Buy a bike stand, it makes checking the oil, adjusting and lubing the chain, and cleaning much easier.NEVER NEVER NEVER use Armour All or anything like it on your seat or your tires unless you have life insurance and I am your benificiary.

5. Take it easy for the first few days, learn to ride it at an easy pace. Take a safety course, it's great experience.

6. Learn to use your front brake, I see so many guys using just the rear and they always slide and end up dropping the bike.Your front brake is important. You should wear your fronts out 2 to 3 times faster than the rear brakes. Practice panic stops using your brakes, start slow and build up your speed. You never know what will stop in front of you. Also practice counter steering.

7. Enjoy the hell out of a little 600, that even today can give a lot of bikes a run for their money.

8. Don't act like a squid while riding, respect the road and the others who share it. Remember I might be riding behind you and I don't want to deal with the angry SUV driver you just did a wheelie past.

Now I am not trying to be a know it all, or any kind of expert, but that is what I would do when buying a used bike.A few more bucks spent now, will ensure no drastic break downs in the near future. I am offering a bit of my wisdom learned over the years, through trial and error and countless dollars spent when it could have been easily avoided. A little neglect can go a long way in causing problems down the road.

Congratulations on your F2, your made a fine choice for a first bike. Welcome to the forum. Post a picture of your bike when you get the chance.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:28 AM

Awesome thank for the reply.

Well I get the bike takin in for a pre-buyers inspection, they took the bike right down to the engine and frame. super multi point inspection, compression and everything. The mechanic told me that he was quite suprised to see such a clean bike for its year and what not. Not a thing needed! Im quite happy with my buy and the seller was a very cool guy, both of us belonging to a local bike forum.

So he drove it back to my place where it sits for now. Going to a riding school next weekend. Where i am in Vancouver BC, Canada. You do your learners test, then take a Motorcycle skill test *parking lot slow speed style test* where you get the restriction of having a supervisior removed so you may drive alone and practice as much before heading back to take the road test for the full liscense.

Super excited for the course! 1 more week till I can head out on the road! I have most of my gear; Jacket, Helmet *gonna need a new one, i hate the one i have so freakin old* and some boots. But the boots are harley hiker/biker style boots, so they may or may not be very good for a sportbike.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:52 AM

Sweet looking bike. My first 92F2 was the red and white color scheme, opposite of yours. Your bike is very clean. I like the seat, is it a Corbin?

When I did my my low speed test, I turned the idle up and feathered the clutch. I had to go around a circle, keeping the front tire between the lines. It was easy. Just remember, don't put two feet down when you stop, put your left foot down and keep your right foot on the brake. Your going to love being an F2 owner.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:06 AM

thank you very much,

I get to use the schools bikes on the course and tests. they are using 250 rebels and 500 ninjas, as well as dual purpose bike not sure what it was called again...

oh and yes the seat is a corbin, matches the bike so good!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:18 PM

damn dude... that bike looks to be in great shape. sweet find. I have a 92 f2. got it in march this year. totally in love w/it. It is sooooo fun to ride. youll be very happy w/yours. Have fun w/it

Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my '91 F2 in march as well, love the F2. Classic early 90's sport bike.. loves it to death, infact I cannot praise it enough. All of my friends with triumphs and suzuki's are having problems and motor issues, while my lil cbr is running like a champ.