CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

New F2 owner.....a few questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F2 owner.....a few questions.....

Hey everyone, im a new f2 owner, and ive got a few questions that i was hoping i could get some help on.

1) The bike i just bought (1991, f2 obviously) has a cracked upper left fairing (just underneeth, and to the left of the headlight). its not bad, but it is noticable, i've took a look on craigslist and ebay, but couldn't seem to find any fairings for that specific section, not to mention the same color. So i'm wondering......what are my options? cheap/low cost atleast? get a full new set of fairings? switch with other fairings? plastic weld? or just go all out street fighter?????? which would be the best? i do love the full-fairing look.

2) The color scheme i got is the blue/black.....however, when i look online and what not, i realize that its actually the blue/black one....with the big pink stripe removed.......are the stripes all detachable? or mebe the old owner did some custom work? (the bikes in the shop for a tune up, so i can't go and check)

3) i love the look of the more modern bikes, but most specificly, the rear end angle. how it is inclined (as in the back end is higher than the front). i heard that i could switch out the shock, with a f3's (or was it f4?) and give myself a few extra inches......so i'm wondering, if i do that, will it be noticably more inclined? will i sacrifice any stability or anything? and is there a cheaper option to performing this inclined mod?

4) this is question is kinda a continuation of the 3rd question, but......i know that because the rear fairing is alot bigger than the new fairings, it doesn't have the good of a incline look. is there any way to look up, or figure out what the diffrence is (like inches, in height) between the f2 shock size and the new shock size? (or w/e relates to the inclined look?)

5) i'm almost done with questions, i swear. lol....................so sticking with the rear end topic, is there anyway to fit a newer rear end (basicly, a slimmer) from a new CBR on there? that doesn't involve welding?? if so, what year would work with the F2's? if not, any pre-painted aftermarket ones?

6) ok, i swear this is my last question. (or is it?) so....i need to replace the rear tire. any recommendations(sp?) for a good rear tire? this bike is my daily commuter, so i need some decent traction. i don't plan to immitate Rossi, but i also would like to have the ability to crank it out when i need to. any recommendations for good Low cost/decently priced rear tires?

Ok guys, thats all the quesitons i have. i know its alot, but i couldn't think of any other place that would have the answers than the CBR forum.....

Thanks in advance

Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Default RE: New F2 owner.....a few questions.....

well i'll try and tackle #3 for you. first off are you sure you want to incline the front (raise) or are you talking about the incline going from the front to the back (the back being raised)? if you want to drop the front you can just support the front of the bike then lossen the upper and lower triple trees and slide the fork up and inch or two then tighten the triple trees back to torque spec. be sure to do one side at a time and be sure support the front (preferably with a front end stand but a jack and a buddy will do). i hope that tackles number 3 for you.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 AM

ty it does,and its another option im considering to get the "inclined" look that i'm goin for.

but another reason that i'm going with the shock idea, is cause i'm 190lb, and i was told that the shocks were designed for ppl in the 150 range....but i'm not exactly too sure how they'll handle with that 40 pnd diffrence.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Banned

Can't help with the "inclined look" questions, but #6 I can. I got 10,000 miles out of my BridgestoneBattle Axe tires. They worked equally well for commuting and twisties on the weekends.I'd stick with stock tire size... it's what the bike was designed for.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...00&av=9934

That link will give you an idea what they might cost, but you can probably find them cheaper somewhere else. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 AM

Well, the first pile of questions can be answered by saying that the bike is an F2 and it was not designed like you want it to look. You can graft a newer rear section, but you will need welding and other work. The front fairing can be had on eBay or you can try some of the on line parts sites.

The rear shock is fine for your weight if you increase the preload, but I found that in addition to the higher height a new shock gives in the rear the bike the spring is stiffer and you get a lot more adjustment for compression and rebound damping. My old F2 shock was on #7 preload and the new F4 I installed is now on preload #2. The only thing I don't like about the new shock is that the bike sits higher and leans over more when you put it on the kickstand. I'm going to have someone weld on a spacer so the bike sits more normal on the stand. (about 1/4") Oh, and I weigh 270 now, so 190 is not at all too heavy, but the shock is most likely dead from age and miles.

<edit> I have Michelin Pilot Road tires on my bike and like the ride they give. I have about 4k on them right now and the front is showing almost no wear and the rear is showing slight wear at the crown. I can't speak for cornering performance, but they have handled everything I've been brave enough to throw at them. I have ridden in rain and have had no problems. I think the next set will be Pilot Road 2s as they are supposed to last aeven longer and provide better dry performance.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Brah!
RB

Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

If you're planning on having to ride in the rain, I would suggest you google some reviews on Avon's Storm ST (I think they are the AV54 front,and AV55 rear) They are confidence inspiring and a couple weekends ago I rode 200 miles to Casper WY and the last 25 miles or so were in a snow storm so bad that the snowflakes in my headlight were blinding me. The snow never built up more than slush but it was un-nerving just the same. The Avons performed flawlessly. I'm a big fan now.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:05 AM

Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of good people and info here.

Now, to help with your stuff...

My front has been lowered by doing what rider0033 said about the forks and triple trees (back has been lowered too, though). Works alright, but gives you less room so the fender may hit on a big enough bump - same with lower fairing bottoming out. Replacing the tail section fairing should give you that angled look without having to mess too much with the geometry of the bike.

There is a company on the net that makes one piece slimmer tails out of fiberglass, I'll edit in the name when I find it. Aer-something...

edit: Airtech Streamlining
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...0F21991-94.htm

Have you considered just getting the replacement fairing with the pink stripe and adding the rest of the stripes to match? Shouldn't be too hard especially if the rest of the paint scheme already matches up.

Besides, the old-skool colors look good...

I see a couple Black and Blue F2's up there proudly wearing their Pink stripes.

As for tires, get the best you can afford and stick to stock sizes.

Anyway like I said, welcome to the club, good luck with your new F2. Post some pix when you have. Ride safe.

- rey