CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

new to f2

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to f2

well im new to bikes in general. just picked up a 92 f2. looks like is was taken care of mechanically. no leakes, runs great. my question is more for suspension. what can i do about the front forks? rebuild with f3 per the sticky or what swaps in? also the swing arm. anything swapable? what size rim can i fit in there? what size tire can i fit on stock rim or am i stuck with the 160/60? thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome, the F2 is a great bike.

For the suspension, if you're just using the bike for street riding get the proper spring rate for your weight from RaceTech, and if you really want to, you can upgrade the valving.

The F3 fork internals sticky I made is confusing, I should probably delete it as I am unsure of what works I was just taking information from what Ken Johnson could tell me.

I would leave your swingarm and rear wheel alone, the geometry of the bike was designed to work with a 160 tire and having ridden the **** off of my bike with the 160 in the rear I can confidently say it doesn't need much improvement.

Instead of playing with tire sizes, I recommend brake upgrades.

Swap the rubber lines for braided steel, and change the front lines from a split line to 2 individual lines from the master, with a double banjo bolt.

EBC has big brake kits if you want to spend the dough, it's a nice improvement.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM

oh snap. thanks for the response. very informative. since i wont be playing with size now, what are some good sticky tires? i was looking at the bridgestone battlax bt016

oh, and since f2 parts seem to be scarce, will most of the parts from the f3 swap over? like alternators, R/R, ect.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had bad experience with Dunlop and Bridgestone street tires, but I love Dunlop slicks (race compound, on my race bikes)

Personally I love the Metzeler M3, but I am trying out Pilot Powers when my bike is back together.

F2 parts are pretty abundant actually, check Ebay.

But yes, a lot of F3 parts are compatible, I believe there is a thread in this forum detailing which parts can be interchanged.

The OEM R/R is faulty on all of the 90's Honda's, so you will want to get an aftermarket R/R with cooling fins.

Also, the OEM Hydraulic CCT is very prone to failure, the best insurance you can buy for your engine is a Manual CCT from APE Race Parts. It's about $60 and very easy to install. (If your bike makes a loud rattle upon start-up, or even all the time, it's your CCT)

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM

ya it looks like the RR already went out and the previous owner put on an aftermarket RR. ill definately do the CCT. i have a cyclegear right down the street from me (escondido) and ill check out their tires. thanks again. more question are sure to come

Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM

I rode battleaxe 016 tires on my F2... they were good (and cheaper than the PPs). Don't bother with getting a fatter tire.

+1 for new fork springs. but you may want to practice wheelies before you tear the forks down... might as well mess up the old seals

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM

lol ok. i will practice

Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Yeah, all of the above is good info. It's a rad bike and it performs great. I don't have much trouble at all keeping up with modern 600's. This bike only weighs 20lbs more dry to my understanding!

Definitely get the CCT. It's an easy install which you can do yourself.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

i am on the second set of battleaxes on my bike and have yet to have an issue other than my tires seem to have an affinity for nails. but really its up to personal preference.

and i would highly recommend staying with the stock tire size. when i bought the bike the guy PO had a larger tire and when i went back to the stock size it was like a new bike, much more nimble and responsive.

as for the CCT there is a guy on here that has started makin a few by hand, dunno if he has any left, but theyre cheaper than the ape and so far have worked well for the guys here on CBRF.

and for the r/r. if the PO has changed it, it couldnt hurt to give the wiring a once over. mine was an aftermarket and he did a ****-poor job on the wiring.

finally congrats on the new (to you) bike. welcome to the addiction.

-fearless-