CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Need Help!! Dead Bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!! Dead Bike!!

got an f2 and have been driving it for about a week or two...then out of no where it died on me at the red light after25 minutes of riding..at first i thought i stalled out but it wouldnt start back up...it sounded like it at first and then lost juiceand made that clicking noise...didnt know what to do so my friend came to give me a jump.. when the cables where plugged up he turned the car on and im pretty sure that ur not supposed to do that, because after that the lights or anything wouldnt turn on..so now its completely dead so i charged the battery for about 3or 4 hours and it said 100% so i plugged it back and still nuthing..what should i do now??? any insight or help would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited by btown2389; 05-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Double post!
MODS! Please delete.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the main fuse, under the seat next to the battery, it's buried in the starter relay, I believe. Check all of the other fuses, up to the right, by the bars, just to be through. You may have blown it when you did the jump, crossed polarity maybe?

The sudden die from idle, not sure the root cause. The clicking comes from draining your battery as you tried to re-start it. (little tip here.. if I flood or have a reason to think it's gonna take some juice to re-start, I un-plug the headlight to conserve my power, since the headlight comes on every time you turn the key)

I had an issue with a clogged vent-pipe on the gas tank, it would vapor-lock the bike when it got hot outside. Noticed it cause it was forcing gas out on the ground.

I'm not as good at diagnostics as I am at tips on how to get there after you know the problem. Hopefully, one of the guru's here, will take note of your plight and steer you better than my humble self.

Good luck, Ern

Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Definitely not supposed to jump the bike from a running car, that will fry your electrics. Hopefully it is only the main fuse (as stated above).

As for the dieing bike while idling at the stop light, without further info there are only guesses as to what MIGHT be the problem....

COULD be a bad R/R (regulator/rectifier), search this site for reg/rec issues and you will find a ton of info (how to diagnose and fix). It isn't expensive to replace the r/r if that IS your problem ($60 on fleabay for gsxr one).

COULD be the tank not venting properly as stated above (fuel drains out but no air to replace it causing a vacuum which won't let more fuel leave the tank).

COULD be worn out battery that isn't holding a charge

COULD be slightly clogged carb (unlikely to happen out of the blue if you have been riding it regularly but possible you got some dirty gas at your last fill up)

Last edited by Bently600; 05-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM

I would guess your Regulator Rectifier went out. Mine did the same, my battery would hold a charge for a bit then randomly die. I replaced it and it has been fine ever since. Got mine from ebay. 37 bucks. Also jumping the bike from a car probably overloaded the battery and possibly electrics. Test your battery and connections with a volt meter

Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bicecleta used to die at red lights, but then i upped the idle to like 2.1k and she would idle, like crap. Ended up being carbs, air leak, and spark plugs. Spark plugs probably helped the most

Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by dagg92
I would guess your Regulator Rectifier went out. Mine did the same, my battery would hold a charge for a bit then randomly die. I replaced it and it has been fine ever since. Got mine from ebay. 37 bucks. Also jumping the bike from a car probably overloaded the battery and possibly electrics. Test your battery and connections with a volt meter
I got a new voltage regulators.. And changed all te fuses and charged my battery.. it kinda starts up then dies immediately.. I think I need my varna cleaned

Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM

Did you replace the battery... because R/R's love to take batteries with them.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM

yeh i have and it started up fine....im pretty sure i recently put bad gas into my bike... so i drained it out then put 93oct in and it wont start..i think the new battery i got is fried..cuz it wont start. or maybe the carbs need to be cleaned because of the bad gas.. but the first thing im gonna do is get a new batteryand see whats up