CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

my frist cbr

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my frist cbr

well let me start by saying hello everyone. i live on the outer banks of nc and just got my very frist cbr 600f2 , it is a 1992 model and i have very little in it.(great right ?) anyways the body panels need a little work and i may repakce one or more of them. that is if i can get it running again !!!!!!!!!!!
so i get this bike and it is running great i rode it about 40 miles the day i got it and it was cold as hell that day. so i let her sit for a few days and went to start her but with no luck. the kid how sold her to me said it was hard to start but i never got it to fire. ther are hose that are not hook up under the gas tank. (maybe the vent)
well i know that many of you know these bikes and any info would be great . or if you may know of a local shop on the outer banks of nc (kill devil hills ect.) also would help as i know nothing of thse bike. wher can i get parts ect. for the best prices ?
i am looking forward to getting her going again as i think this a very hot bike. please help, and thank you

Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the battery strong?

Are you using the choke when starting?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Banned

Yeah, check the battery. You can jump start it from a car that is NOT running (a running car can fry your electrical). If it starts better being jumped, your battery is probably delivering low voltage and needs replacing.

If that doesn't solve the problem, a variety of issues could exist. Let's address the battery potential first.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM

yes i have a new battery . what could be fried in the electrical system ? as the kid i got this bike from jump it useing the car running the day i went to get it. as for the choke cabel i need a new one as the end at the handle bars is broke. getting a parts bike this week i hope .

Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 AM

jumping a bike from a running car can POSSIBLY do some electrical damage, but people do it all the time. if you rode it home after, there is probably nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure about the F2 since I just got one myself but a lot of bikes NEED choke to start. I believe the choke on the F2 is more of an "enrichener" circuit that delivers extra raw gas. You could try just pulling on the inner cable if the bar end lever is broken, just to see if you can get it to pop/fire.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're trying to start it without the choke open, it probably won't start.

Try holding the throttle WFO (wide open) when cranking the engine over

Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sand.Man
If you're trying to start it without the choke open, it probably won't start.

Try holding the throttle WFO (wide open) when cranking the engine over

Unless its been sitting for a couple days I never have to use the choke to start my F2, just a tiny blip of throttle then let it close and we're set to go so I don't know why you would say that. I'm no expert though.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Mine will start without choke, but lurches to a start and travels at only 750rpm or so. The choke makes a big difference in how the maotor starts, and how compliant it is with wanting to start.

If it's cold as **** out, the choke is probably a nescessity.

You also mentioned hoses not being hooked up. Pull off the plastics, the seat, and the gas tank. Take a poke around and make sure everything is hooked up right. For a slight bit of extra work, remove the top of the airbox and check from there that everything is hooked up right (see the carb tutorial for extra information, and perhaps get a friends help). It shouldn't take more than 40 minutes, and that's if you're taking your sweet time. You should be able to double check that everything is hooked up properly!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Its IMPOSSIBLE to start my bike without a choke when it is cold out. I could crank for hrs and nothing would happen. summer is a different story. get a choke cable and she'll start. you rode it home and it ran fine right? i think the choke is the only issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM

I had a problem with my 91 CBR 600 after a few days of having it I had no electric at all I bought a tester and tested every option including the battery and everything was fine except a fuse that sits behind the battery 30 AMP fuse was blown after putting a new one in it fired right up now I have Fouled Plugs lol go figure got the new plugs coming in tomorrow and getting new tires put on then I'm gonna go screamin down the interstate! that is just some ideas to think about check the fuses and plugs.

Enjoy the ride cause it's well worth it!