CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My F2 got me a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My F2 got me a ticket

Well, got my first ticket on a motorcycle ever. Right infront of my work there is an intersection onto a fairly major road. So I turn left onto this major road and speed up to the flow of traffic and then decelerate to a stop at the next intersection which is maybe 200 feet away. While sitting there in neutral and my foot on the ground a cop pulls up behind me and once the light goes green and I start to move again his lights go on and he pulls me over.

****ty deal, he claims I was doing 85 in a 50 (km/h) which I did not do unless the traffic around me was doing that. He was not using radar to my knowledge and just guestimated my speed and/or paced me but I didnt see him. It may have looked like I speed though because I passed some traffic that was also turning left at the first intersection (I cut wide and into the next lane over and went past them). I will find out once I recieve disclosure as to how he figured I was speeding.

It sucks though because here in Ontario, Canada, that is a $265 ticket and 4 points on my liscence which means my insurance will shoot so high that I will not be able to ride next year or for the next 3 for that matter (3 years later my record is clean).

This is my 2nd ticket ever, my first being a year ago, in my car a 10km over 40$, no points minor ticket.

It sucks hugely and the cop even admitted to me once he had me pulled over "Sorry, you caught me at a bad time, had to pull you over" maybe he hadn't met his quota and ontop of that it is a long weekend and the local cops all have a no-tolerance enforcement thing going on. Then proceded to tell me that it was a bad ticket (in his opinion.. to me its huge!!) and told me that a few years ago on his hurricane 600, he was pulled over for 105 in a 60 and was forced to sell his bike.

I am definitly taking it to court, I know that I did exceed the speed limit, but not at the levels that he claims. I merely matched the speed of traffic around me and then stopped. I was going at that slightly increased speed for a total of maybe 3 seconds before stopping. I would accept a lowering of the ticket to a 14 over or less (a minor without points on my liscence). Hopefully I can talk to the prosecuter and lower it to that, I just am not quite sure how to build a case.

Ah well, this sucks! huge.

stupid fast bike getting me in trouble.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My F2 got me a ticket

Um. 2 things

1. From my experience they will not lower a ticket of 35 over to a no report ticket. You may get lucky because of your relatively clean license.

2. Don't blame the ride, man! The bike doesn't even move without you working the controls [8D]

Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Our bikes are fast enough to get us ticketed?

Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how the courts work in Canada but down here in GA speeding tickets are pretty much a slam dunk for the cops. I've never even tried the "traffic was going the same speed" excuse because I saw a judge go off on a girl who was trying that one. Guess they've heard it all and don't believe anyone really. I just plead nolo

As for your previous ticket -- 10k/h over. Get real, that's like 6mph ---WTF? Good God man -- you coulda killed someone going that fast[8D] I'm surprised they ever let you out ....

Best advice I can offer is to talk to a local attorney. Good luck dude ...

Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM

That's because our wonderful state of GA has a selective trafficing law. Which means the cop can choose who he wants to pull over out of a group of cars. It's kinda BS but that's the law.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM

I plan on going to a traffic ticket agent who typically can get you out of it. they got my cousin out of a careless driving... they can probably help me with this.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:06 PM

Oh ya I'am always looking around for cops ( you were just kidding right )
ORIGINAL: MT Wallet

Our bikes are fast enough to get us ticketed?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 AM

[sm=funnypostabove.gif] they can only ticket you if they catch you though.... but i would definately talk to someone or try the i was going so fast your honor that i was scared to look down at the speedometer... 2nd thought no dont try that....[sm=badidea.gif]

my girl got a 18mph over 3 days ago 189.00 a neighbors friend (SMOKING HOT BLONDE) 25 0ver--reduced to a 89.00 ticket...hhhhmmmmmm

i have had 3 20mph over and a couple 10-15's.. <----------- young and dumb

Old 08-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Here in NM if they don't have the radar gun to show you how fast you were going they cain't do anything but give a warning. You just have to ask and if they just pulled you over cuz they thought you werre going too fast. Contest the ticket and out it goes. Pretty nice system if you ask me.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Well, today I went to talk to a guy who is a traffic legal expert or whatever. He said that he knew the name of the tickting officer, he is new on the force and where he "radar'd" me is a 6 lane major road. He thinks with most certainty that the radar probably didn't pick me up but someone oncoming or another person going next to me. This is based on radar range and spread. So, if he can argue that for me like he talked to me about it, I am off the ticket easy. He says that radar on a busy road is easy to get rid of ticket wise, but radar on a 6 lane road, tons of traffic, and a very small target like a motorcycle is even more so. So, for the same price as the ticket, I get out of it and don't even have to go and argue it myself (don't miss work for court dates either coz its in a city 45 minutes from where I live)

I will be happy once this blows over, and I get my bike back together! major electrical issues.