CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

My beefy R/R...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My beefy R/R...

I installed a GSX-R R/R on my bike... seems to be working fine. It's twice as big and doesn't get nearly as hot as the burnt up stock (finned) one.

And, being positioned with the fins almost horizontally, it should have much better airflow through them.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Banned
Default RE: My beefy R/R...

That thing's huge!Was the rewiring tough to do?

I just replaced my R/R last week and thought about doing that, but I'm not that great when it comes to wiring. There are aftermarket R/Rs out there with finsfor F2s that you just plug into but the one's I found were considerably more expensive than the stock ones. I got my stock R/R and a new battery for the price of the aftermarketpart.

How long did your stock one last?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 AM

That's awesome! I had to replace my RR two years ago and went with an aftermarket F2 part.

eweppley: There is (at least was) a how-to on this website on how to cross-wire the Gixxer RR...IMO it's definately the way to go since you can get one off a wrecked gixxer on ebay any day of the year!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:16 PM

I went with an aftermarket one as wellbut with out the fins. So far it's holding up. I did slap some thermal compound on it, but not sure if that will help or not.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Both of the stock ones I had seemed to already be burnt out since I owned the bike, and one of them was the "improved" version.

For rewiring, I just depinned the stock connector and plugged the wires and their connectors straight to the GSX-R connector, with a bit of electrical tape on them to prevent shorting. Ideally, you'd want to get a heavy duty connector and do a proper install, but I'm terrible at electrical stuff...and lazy. If these wires fall out or something, I'll just stick them back on.

Although, I actually ended up yanking two of the yellow wires out, so I had to install new female spade connectors on them (with a bit of solder and tape as well).

I also had to drill three new holes in the mounting plate and used some generic metric bolts to bolt it on.