CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it

i am lookin at a 91 cbr 600 it has 22462 miles on it the seat is great the tank paint is great farings could use paint and one might be broke havent seen it all ( painting is no biggy) now the bad the 1st owner of the bike rode it and one day it started runnin rough so he said a guy messed up the jets so he bought another set of cbr 600 carbs and nstalled them and the rest is unknow but the guy that has it know bought it unrunnin he hnd it 1 tooth off in timing but it still wont run it turns over but backfires out the exhuast (sound lean or timing to me but im new to bikes ) he is askin 700 for it is it worth it and any ideas on the motor problem here are to pics

thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-dsc03980.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-dsc03981.jpg  
Old 01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Default help please

i am going to look at the bike today to get a better story of twhat happens and to get more pics if this will help i just dont want to spend 2 much on a peice of junk

this will be my first cbr and sounds like the f2 is a decent bike

Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the sounds, $700 is the most I would pay for it. Check the oil for metal particles, water, etc. Check the coolant for oil in it. These bikes dont like their cam timing off by much, if they get off too much the valves hit the pistons and thats not good

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM

yea i was thinkin this was an interference motor too. definauntly check for metal, and or coolant in oil like playfulgod was sayin. double check the timing chain if it is more than 1-2 teeth off it is most likely done for. my buddys 94 f2 was backfiring and not starting all i did was put the idle adjuster screw in that was layin on the motor. and them carbs are prolly outa sync. i would offer round 500-600 for just b/c of the headaches you are going to endure tryin to get it to run rite especially if this is your first bike. and it just started runnin rough one day outa the blue? isn't it possible that the hydraulic cam chain tensioner (which is notorious for going out on f2's) took a major s*** while riding. just riding down the road and the bike starts runnin like crap doen't sound like jets, they don't adjust themselves, unless somthin possibly got by the filter in the tank and clogged. i'd say its a hit or a miss if you get it you won't really know till it's in your garage having you go through it. good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Default got real story today and more pics

i went and looked at the bike today it is very clean oil looks great and the rad was off so i could see antifreeze to look at he said the origonal owner put on exhuast and tryed to jet it it didnt run right so he bought another set of f2 ( he said there f2) carb and put them on and now it just backfired out exhuast so the guy im getting it from had his budd who is goin threw bike school help him with it they checked compression was good it has good plugs the pulled valve cover and found back cam 1 tooth off they changed to to correct and then it would sputter and still backfire out exhuast but no start and they stoped working on it and its een sitting for like 2 months the owner is not good with mechanical stuff at all

here are some pics i snaped of it it has never been laided over just droped in yard and cracked peice by left handle bar

Attached Thumbnails lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3550.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3551.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3552.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3553.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3554.jpg  

Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Default more pics

here are some more pics

Attached Thumbnails lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3555.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3556.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3557.jpg   lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it-img_3558.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

i'd go for it doesn't seem like any major issues just tuning

Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM

i found a 97 f3 today that is 2 bikes and one need parts put on one good title one no title would this be a better deal is the 97 a better bike

Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM

the f3 is gonna be slightly better than an f2. how many miles they got on em? what they askin to take both home and wut u gotta swap on em? pics?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Default bikes

one is a 96 complete running bike no title the 97 is a rollor with front farings and all wiring an coils and a lot of extras bike has 20000 i think

asking 800 for both 96 has d and d exhuast and brand new tires front ands back

97 has deceint tires

Quick Reply: lookin at a bike need to know if its worth it