CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Just got my first Bike - F2 - Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got my first Bike - F2 - Some questions.

Hey, So I just got my first bike, a 1991 CBR600 F2 in the black, blue and pink scheme (the pink was removed.. very.. VERY fast). Now for some simple questions, What parts of F3 fairings can I use for this bike? If I put an F3 tail assembly, does it require a the f3 subframe? or will it bolt onto the f2 subframe? Can I get the f3 ram air and airbox setup and bolt it directly to the f2 carbs? Can I also get a solo seat cap?

Anyways, thanks for any help in advance.

So far I am loving this bike. Its my first road bike that I have ever owned and riden. I have some dirt expirience but this is a whole different beast and Its a blast.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just got my first Bike - F2 - Some questions.

welcome to the forum & congrats on the bike! sorry i can't answer any of your questions but hopefully other members can.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 PM

first of u can not change the subfrrame its welded on, 99 and up cbrs are bolt ons. 91-96 tailights are the same unless u go with the 97-98 style tailight which looks better. u need to change the rear fender stock undertail of a 97-98 f3 for the tailights to fit and rear fairings of a 97-98 f3 for this to work and look good. for the air box if u using f2 carbs u need the f3 complete air box including the one that mounts to the carbs and u can figure it out from there. u will not be able to use the complete ram air system hoses that comes with the air silineiod pump valve cause u needed the f3 wire harness for hook up...

Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM

Congrats man!

I'm new here too... how did you take off the pink pinstripe that runs down the bike and the tank?

Old 05-01-2006, 02:33 PM

It was pretty easy actually. At first, I tried the hair dryer method to loosen up the glue and get it peeling, but I gave that up quickly for peeling it cold. First I would use a sharp, straight edge razor to peel up a corner then I would just work at peeling off the section I was working on. Without warming up the graphics first, the glue stayed on much more and it was smoother.

Anyways, once all of the pink was off from the various pieces, I went to the tail section where I took the razor and cut very carefully around the CBR logo and peeled the pink around that too.

Now that ALL of the pink was good and gone, I used contact cement cleaner (not thinner, but cleaner) and I would soak a rag with it. I would brush over the glue a couple times with this rag and it would change colors, from a nice shiny glue like look to a dark dull matte look. I let it sit for about 20 seconds and then took a dish towl and started to rub on the glue and it came right off. Once the glue was gone from each piece, it recieved a soap and water treatment to clean it up. The whole process was kindof slow, but worth it. The bike looks mint now and I can't wait to get it back from the bike shop where she's getting a safety/certification and a new rear tire.

Im getting an AVON AV46 tire, 160/60ZR17 but I am wondering, do 170 series fit on F2's? the hugger looks pretty tight to the 160 already.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Wow-- good info

But on the gas tank, my pink stripe is actually under the clearcoat.

Or so it appears...how did you take it off the tank?

Old 05-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Oh, my tank did not have any graphics.. here is some pics:

Then, after a short amount of work on the first day of owning, I removed the pink off the nose section:

Here you can see the glue on the fairings and on the left tail section, near the fuel selector.. you can see what happens when peeling with heat, the sticker leaves little bits and pieces.. a HUGE pain in the but.

THEN after two nights of watching TV and slowly scrubbing... the final product:

Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM

very nice!

I appreciate the pictures and I'm glad you don't have a pink stripe on your tank

But I think I'll keep my bike all stock colored--- but thats just me

Old 05-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a soloseat cap / seat cowl for a good price? Doesn't even have to be painted, I just wanna get rid of that uni-seat look without going to a new seat and tail setup.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 PM

targa and maier both make a bolt on solo cap. Maier has them in black or white, but I don't know how well they match the stock paint...you can buy them on ebay right now for about $52. search maier m330b for black maier m330w for white. Targa offers them painted to match the factory black or white, for about $125 I believe. Check them out on Targa.com. If you end up getting one let me know what you get and how you like it. I have a 91 f2 white/red and am considering getting a white solo cowl for mine but don't want to pay the extra for the painted one if the cheaper one matches just as well.

Quick Reply: Just got my first Bike - F2 - Some questions.