CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Interesting (bad) noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting (bad) noise

So I just finished putting on new; a chain, sprockets, rear disc, rear pads and a K&N air filter (actually I put the filter on about 2 weeks ago). I also am currently keeping off my side fairings (They were on before). Now while I am driving I hear a sound that sounds like ‘ths ths ths ths.’ The best analogy I have is a brake pad that is accidentally tapping the disc, which is also what I thought at first. A few more details, it only appears in 3rd gear and up (actually I didn’t check 6th because I wasn’t able to get going that fast, I was on my way to work when I noticed the sound), and only under acceleration and when I am in third or higher and back off the gas it goes away (i.e. not under acceleration), but comes back as soon as I give it gas. Also when in neutral and I rev it the sound is not there. My best guess is the carburetors but I really don’t know I am only guessing that because it happens when I give it some gas. I know my CCT needs to be replaced but I am hopefully replacing that tomorrow, however even though that makes a noise, the CCT noise normally goes away (but maybe if it’s getting worse?)

Any input would be great, thanks in advance.
Dan

Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Default RE: Interesting (bad) noise

If you put on a new brake disc, make sure you have no runout. Elevate the rear tire, and spin it. Watch the brake disc from the rear, and see if it "bounces" out as it's spinning. Also, a bad CCT could cause your noise. Do yourself a favor and get an adjustable CCT. I've replaced 2 CCT's within the past 6 months, and finally decided that my cam chain was stretched, and that I needed an adjustable CCT to take up the extra slack in the chains. It works beautifully. No noise, and best of all, I don't have to shell out tons of cash to put in a new cam chain. I have a brand new one, in the package that I'll sell. PM if you're interested.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will check for run out. If there is runout what do I do to fix it? I am planning on changing my CCT to an APE manual this weekend.

Dan

Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM

If you have excessive runout, there could be several problems. 1. Bent rim. 2. Improper alignment of wheel on swingarm. The wheel must mount straight on the swingarm. 3. VERY bad wheel bearings. With the rear tire off the ground, grab it with your hand and shake it side to side. There should be NO play/free movement whatsoever. 4. Bent brake disc. When you install the brake disc, do not tighten a bolt then move on to the next one. Tighten them down in a criss cross/star pattern, and torque each one in steps. For the initial torque, torque each bolt to half of the manufacturers specs, in the criss cross/star pattern, then re-torque each bolt to full manufacturers specs. Don't forget to use blue loc-tite on the bolts. If the disc is bent, get a new one. I know on cars, namely C3 Corvettes with full floating calipers, people add shims to compensate for runout, which is the only way to correct it. I don't think I'd do this on a bike. Also make sure the bolts are all tightened and that the disc is sitting flush at all mounting points.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM

When you install your manual CCT, do NOT remove the valve cover and all that crap. You're gonna waste time. Remove the old CCT and gasket, always use a new gasket, and put some thread sealant/RTV on the bolt body, not the threads. Install the manual CCT, and tighten it until you feel VERY slight tension. Start the bike. Listen for cam chain noise, tighten the CCT until the noise goes away, then tighten an additional 1/4 turn. Tighten the jamb nut, and make sure the tensioner doesn't move while doing this.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:54 PM

Thanks for all the advise I am going to check for the run out this weekend and install my CCT, thanks for the advise on how to install it, I wasn't looking forward to doing all that extra work.

Dan

Old 09-13-2006, 10:41 PM

check ur bearings might have gone bad sounds like a washing machine then its ur bearuing

Old 09-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Would bearings only make noise when under acceleration? I would guess that they would all the time if they were bad? The ones on the rear axle look ok. But now I might replace them.

Dan

Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Well I finally had some free time to work on my bike (almost a month later!). And I guess it was just the CCT because I put the ape on and it is completely gone, from the ticking at start up to the weird sound I was hearing in 3rd and up!!!! Thanks for everyone’s advise.