CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   How to lift bike to swap out rear shock? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/how-lift-bike-swap-out-rear-shock-155254/)

92CBR600F2 Supersport 11-23-2016 09:51 AM

How to lift bike to swap out rear shock?

hey guys I just recently bought a rear shock upgrade from the Stocker on my F2. I was looking in the book and it says to use the center stand in the process of removing the shock. problem is my bike doesn't have a center stand, how did the rest of you who swapped out your rear shock lift the bike safely to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jaybird180 11-23-2016 05:09 PM

Center Jack to lift bike works well. I used a rear stand to lift and then settled the bike at the headers in a car wheel and tire. Ratchet straps should then be used to maintain stability.

You should aim to loosen the bolts before jacking the bike so it doesn't tipover.

Alternatively, if you have ratchet straps and ceiling supports, you can lift the bike that way.

A frame (paddock) stand works well also.

coalminer frank 11-23-2016 07:45 PM

You could stick an old tire iron through the holes in the frame where the center stand would've been and use jackstands on each end of the tire iron after jacking it up in the center of the tire iron. Or just use 2 jacks, one on each end of the tire iron, have to jack each one a little bit at a time. Or if you have solid/non-folding foot pegs, you could jack under those or use jackstands under them. Or if you leave the wheel and tire on the bike you could use a scissor jack from your car between the rear tire and subframe. Take the nuts off the shock mounts then start jacking until you can jiggle the bolts looses. The key is to almost get the swingarm hanging. Ratchet straps attached to the rear of the bike only, it will fall over. The CBR was not designed for a center jack lift, Harleys were but not CBRs. If you do use straps from the ceiling, you need to do the front also for support. A paddock stand for the rear will not work because it lifts from the swingarm. I believe a car jack between the tire and frame would be really easy and non confusing and you could use the paddock stand for stability or even leave the bike on its side stand.

Jaybird180 11-23-2016 08:59 PM

On some of the newer bikes I would be leery of lifting by the rearsets. But CF did give me an idea of using a length of threaded steel pipe stuck through the frame hole with nuts on each end and 2 jacks underneath. Should be super stable but I still would seek to stabilize the front and use straps.

coalminer frank 11-23-2016 11:02 PM

I tried threaded steel through those holes and it bent. So I went digging around my garage and found the old tire iron, way stronger than threaded steel. I also made a one piece wood jackstand for said tire iron. Its nice and wide so to hold from the outside of both frame holes. I use paddock stand and lift with that, then slide homemade wide wood jackstand underneith and sit bike on homemade stand while removing paddock stand completely. On a side note, I believe todays bikes, if they had solid non folding rearsets they would be fine to lift from those for the simple fact, one of my F2's sit on jackstands from the footpegs whenever its in the garage and it actually weighs as much if not more than my 08 CBR 1000rr.

Jaybird180 11-23-2016 11:15 PM

I'd be interested in see a pic of this wooden stand.

Lots of folks breaking frame tabs nowadays where rearsets mount up. F2 was made different.

I was also thinking a tube not steel rod.

coalminer frank 11-24-2016 11:12 AM

Said wood stand looks like a "H" made from 2 by 4's except for the base that the "H" is mounted to, it a 2 by 6 or 2 by 8, and wider than the "H" by a couple of inches on each side. And a couple diagonal supports. On top of the "H" are half moon cuts to allow tire iron a specific spot to lay. PM me your phone # and I'll text you a pic or two. I dont know how to post pics on forums. I also made a bigger "H" for the front that is placed under the frame where the engine bolts below the radiator.

Hawkwind2016 11-24-2016 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank (Post 1300259)
I dont know how to post pics on forums.

It's very easy. Just upload your pic to photobucket or the like. Then paste the [IMG] url into your post and it will be embedded into the text. Simples :icon_lol:

Jaybird180 11-24-2016 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank (Post 1300259)
Said wood stand looks like a "H" made from 2 by 4's except for the base that the "H" is mounted to, it a 2 by 6 or 2 by 8, and wider than the "H" by a couple of inches on each side. And a couple diagonal supports. On top of the "H" are half moon cuts to allow tire iron a specific spot to lay. PM me your phone # and I'll text you a pic or two. I dont know how to post pics on forums. I also made a bigger "H" for the front that is placed under the frame where the engine bolts below the radiator.

PM coming your way while you fiddle with uploads.

jman2000 11-25-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank (Post 1300270)
Hey Jman, how much you wanting for that shock? And did you ever get those EBC brackets for oversize rotors? I might be willing to buy both if the price is right.

Hey coal miner frank, I never did buy them ebc oversized rotor brackets. If I do some research again I can tell you where to get them if I can figure it out...last year ebc had a few sets in stock yet.

On the other note, I tried posting my shock for sale here multiple times and it never posted. So I decided to list it on eBay the other day and here's the link. I have it for a good price, trust me, I just want it gone.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1991-1998-Honda-CBR-F2-F3-600-Fox-Twin-Clicker-Rear-Racing-Shock-/162294591567?hash=item25c982f04f%3Ag%3AfaYAAOSwEzx YN0Xy&_trkparms=pageci%253Afc017f75-b32f-11e6-b80a-74dbd1804fbc%257Cparentrq%253A9c69e4df1580a2af6644 02ccffeeea7b%257Ciid%253A3