CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hi, Have a few Q's about the '94 F2

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, Have a few Q's about the '94 F2

I am going to look at a '94 600 F2 on Monday. I need all the help I can get. This seems to be the spot. I am not "new" to bikes...just this one, lol. I currenlty have a VF700F...I know a little old.

The bike I will check out is asking $2500 with 20K on it. I am hoping they take $2000. It does have loads of mods...please, what should i pay attention to.

From the threads I've read; electric issues, possible knocking, and poor maint. is what I've learned. Can anyone tell me specifics of tell tale signs/ or where I should look. ex should I have them pull off the fairing, seat, etc? Any and all help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advane everyone!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say to ask if you could take off the fairings and inspect the back side of them to see there are any cracks or repairs which would usually indicate its been dropped. I have also heard of guys buying newer tach's and replacing the old one to say that the bike has less k's.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check it over as you would with any vehicle purchase.

The F2 is prone to a few problems, very minor fixes though, all together they are a great bike and hold excellent value even if mildly maintained they can be brought back to life with a bit of love.

The OEM hydraulic cam chain tensioners are prone to seizing up and no longer apply appropriate tension to the cam chain causing a harsh rattling sound.

When it is not really bad the sound will only be apparent on cold start-ups and will go away as oil pressure is revived... When it's long past due for replacement with a manual CCT (made by APE) the sound is very prominent and does not go away with a warm motor.

The regulator/rectifier located on the right side of the subframe on the inside of the tail plastics is prone to overheating and failing due to corrosion caused by melted wires or just plain burning up.

Aftermarket reg/rec's are available with heat sync's for around $90 (est.), this will cure the issue and will resolve any battery problems you may encounter. An alternate route is to find a reg/rec from an early model GSXR, there is information about this on this forum and likely easily found on google.

Common signs of false mileage readings can be identified by looking at things like hand grips, the rubber pads on the foot pegs, and general condition of the bike.

If things are worn seemingly prematurely for the mileage on the bike it doesn't hurt to ask, but when it comes down to it - it is easy to tell if a motorcycle has been maintained and is in good working condition.

It's hard to hide major problems on something like a bike.

Good luck, the 94's have the best equipment.