CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Have no clues what it may be

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have no clues what it may be

When I go above 5000 rmp (no matter which gear Im in) my bike makes a really loud noise(I thought its from the engine), its not knocking (althought thats another problem that I have when its cold only) but its sounds mean. Somebody told me that it may be just the muffler.What do you guy think. This is my first season and first bike. Its not in a bad shape but I already had few incidents with it. I decided that Im gonna keep the bike anyway, and try to fix things up (winter project). Do you guys have any tips what should I work on/ look in to especially.

Thanks,
Trish

Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: Have no clues what it may be

It's the CCTL (Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter). Do a search on the forum. You can either replace it or live with it.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

like Ehonda said, CCT, I'd replace it before living with it... live with it too long and your cam chain will slip a tooth and blow your top end to bits.

www.aperaceparts.com

Ape sells the manual cam chain tensioner for about $50, it's an easy install and can save you lots of $ in the long run. Unlike the OEM CCT, the manual CCT will never fail if installed and set up properly.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM

It also won't automatically adjust as the chain stretches due to time and/or heat. And, how can you guys possibly diagnose CCTL with "a loud noise." For all we know, it could be a backfire or a freakin fart.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cadaver

It also won't automatically adjust as the chain stretches due to time and/or heat. And, how can you guys possibly diagnose CCTL with "a loud noise." For all we know, it could be a backfire or a freakin fart.
I thought the same thing, could be any number of things causing it.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM

From what I see all the f2 have similar problems. So is a CCT something come on, like the retrifier burning out in almost all F2's.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:35 PM

The CCTL wasn't really a problem until the F4i, then everyone jumped on the CCTL bandwagon.
Plus, I'm sure not "almost all" rectifiers burned out. If so, I have one of the valuable rare unburned ones!

Maybe if you could describe the noise better and walk around your bike and try to give a general location of the noise, we might be able to diagnose it better.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Cadaver

The CCTL wasn't really a problem until the F4i, then everyone jumped on the CCTL bandwagon.

I am pretty sure that the f4i wasnt the start of the cct problems... the cct is a very common issue with f2's and many other bikes...

Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CCT issues were apparent in the original CBR hurricanes... F1's, F2's, F3's F4's and F4i's.... As well as regulator/rectifier issues.

My bike is a rebuild because it caught fire due to electrical issues...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM

Count me in as one of those with a replacement R/R. The previous owner must have done it at least a few times because he actually installed a tube running from the front of the bike, through the frame so that air would blow on the R/R.

Quick Reply: Have no clues what it may be