CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Got the coils, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got the coils, what next?

I'd check and see what your plugs look like. It sounds like you're getting plenty of fuel, if not too much so I'm guessing they will be wet. I'd try flipping the choke off and cracking the throttle open.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Haven't got to mess with it yesterday or today because of problems with my girlfriends car, I did replace both coils. If its weak spark a.)how can I check that and b what else could be wrong. I'll try the deal with burning off excess fuel before I try to crank it over again. The choke was on full when I tried. I believe #1 is on the left if your sitting on the bike, correct? The battery I took out of my 900rr cause the one that came with the bike wouldn't hold a charge.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

And I sure appreciate all of the input guys. I'm certain this baby will start soon

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 PM

Well, as far as checking spark goes, you kind of need to have an eye for it. They make tools for the job, but what I do is I'll have the plug in the wire, and hold the threaded portion of it against the frame to ground it. You'll want to be sure you're hanging onto the plug wire itself otherwise you'll be getting a shock. Then just crank it over a little bit. You should be able to see a visible spark, but it may be weak. I'd do the same thing on your 900 if thats running fine and use that as kind of a visual benchmark.
I bought my 94 out of a barn. When I got it it didn't run, mainly because it only had 3 spark plugs in it. But it would flood itself in no time and foul the plugs. I took them out and heated them up with a propane torch to burn all the crap off of them. It's just a matter of things getting the right amount of air, since its clear you're getting plenty of gas. One thing to check might be the vacuum hose that goes into the airbox. If you don't have that hooked up right then there won't be enough vacuum to move the vacuum slides to let more air in, and flood the bike every time.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 AM

I'll get to mess with it more today, its funny you mention that little hose too becuase I know its on, but I know there's no clamp on it, so I'm going to make sure that there is one on there. I'll do the same check with the spark plugs too. Should I do every one? Or if I check one is it ok? Either way I'll pull every spark plug too

Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM

spark strength is easy to determine, bright fat blue=healthy spark, orange/yellow spark is a weak one.

you might also check that your ignition signal wires are connected tightly and arent shorted somewhere coming out of the signal generator cover.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM

I've got to locate the ignition signal wires (Gotta trace them cause I don't know exactly where it is) I put a brand new battery, (had to mix it and charge it) I checked the spark, I could see it and it arced an inch to the frame, appeared to be good.All of the plugs still looked brand new. I noticed that the idle screw is VERY stiff and doesn't really move, so I'm guessing that may be an issue. It backfired more with full choke

Old 01-02-2009, 06:41 PM

Also I noticed on top of the carbs, the gaskets are not there. Would that affect it?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 PM

you mean the ones that go where the stacks go into?
I think those are there so you don't get a air leak. Definitely wanna get those replaced.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM

Yup they go right on top of carbs. Do you think its letting itget too much air? Can anyone tell me more about the idler screw and how to get it functioning again?

Quick Reply: Got the coils, what next?