CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Good, im such a Newb...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good, im such a Newb...

Ok I have searched and read all of the articles about this topic, but i thought I would stop in and ask anyway.

I am going to be a VERY new rider (never been on one). I am 25 6'1" 220lbs and am about to take the Honda training course in GA pretty soon. My boss is selling his CBR 600 F2, he has had it for years, and it was his FIRST bike ever. He told me that the reason he bought the bike was b/c the dealership told him it was the BEST starter bike he could buy. (hes an intelligent guy, hes not trying to shove a bike on me). I have read EVERYTHING I can get my hands on about this bike and everyone says its the best starting bike I can get. Today though, I had a friend tell me that a 600cc is dangerous to start out on. I have also read everything on these forums about which bikes are good starter bikes and im still very confused.

I am wondering if the '94 F2 really is as good of a starter bike as they say it is? I really want experienced riders to answer, not kids, I am a responsible person, and im not into the whole, "DAMN THIS THING IS BADASS!" crap, I want real answers.

I have read TONS of opinion sites on it, and the only problem people seem to have with the bike is that it is TOOeasy to ride, and they want something a bit more challenging. This is going to be a bike I use to go to and from work, its an easy 15 min drive and i do it like a hundred times a month. I thought this would be a good way to learn how to ride, by doing the same run over and over again.

I really want some good opinions b/c I am going to buy this bike w/in a month.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Default RE: Good, im such a Newb...

My first bike was a f2 i think it personally was the perfect bike to start on
fairly light and easy to manuever im 5'8" 155 and i had no problems just always respect what it is capable of

I also taught my wife how to ride on a f2 (which she still rides today) she 5'2" 110 and she had no real problems
heck she even dropped it once and picked it up by herself (i was very proud)

never ride out of your skill level and you should be good

also my wifes bike has 40000 on the clock
maintain them and they will be around for a long time

and if after a while you want a little more goooooo then just regear it to get a little more off of the line

just my 2 cents

Old 01-18-2006, 05:11 PM

If you don't ride stupid, respect the bike, and, always know your limits and don't push em, i think the F2 will be perfect for you! My first street bike was my F2 i still ride presently. And, to be honost, i am not planning on ever selling it. It's comfortable, the seat is soft, and, perfect for riding. I'm about 6 foot and 175 lbs and it has more than enough torque and power for me. The only mod on my bike is a slip on muffler to make it sound good.

Sorry, i got off the subject. Like i said earlier, know your limits, stick to riding around your neighborhood and off the main highways if you've never riden before. Take it to a vacant parking lot at night and just get comfortable with it. Thats how I taught my little brother and, he's now on an F4I.

So, if you're taking the MSF, then, congrats!! Be ready to learn and don't think, "I'm too good to worry about learning this!" I learned ALOT from that class, as will most of the riders that took here here will say the same thing.

So, in conclusion, i do think the CBR600 F2 is a good starter bike

Tylor

Old 01-18-2006, 08:13 PM

I think a six hundred is just fine for a first bike. my advice is to just take it slow and try not to ride with guys/gals that will push you to fast. Ride on back streets by yoursellf for awhile and get used to it. I think the majority of accidents are caused by unexpierenced riders being pushed by other riders. Trying to keep up when your not qualified is dangerous...

Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 AM

I was wear you were a few months ago. The F2 and 600's in general are great bikes starter or not. In my MSF we learned on 250cc bikes, and they told us the smaller engines are more forgiving for stupid mistakes, but in an emergency you don't have the power to get out of the way like a bigger bike does. My advice is to take the course before you start riding on more than just residential streets.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 AM

I have 93 F-2 and its been my starter "Sport Bike" its a great bike to start on, even did my skills test on it at DMV, have had it now 8 months, doing a little tune up work on it now for winter gonna toss on a 520 chain conversion kit for a little more out of the hole by the way my bikes got 59,000 miles and it still runs strong, so you got a good bike!!

Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 AM

my 93 f2 is my first sport bike. i was scared to death of them so i got the six to start with. it wasn't my first motorcycle but it is the first one my little wife rode. respect the bike and you'll be fine.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:33 AM

I have a '93 f2, they are great bikes, and for your size I sure wouldn't want to go smaller. this is the first bike I have owned and I am 5'9" and 145 lbs. Just don't underestimate the bike. It has a lot more power and torque than most people believe. They are very good handling bikes.

Old 01-29-2006, 08:31 PM

My first bike was a 98 f3, a little different looking than the F2, but I love that bike and it rides sooo smooth. Like everyone else says just respect the bike. IT'S ALL IN THE WRIST!!!! A 600cc is plenty to start with. Anything less, and I think that you will be dissapointed. You could start out on a 600rr if you wanted (I would NOT recommend it) but its all in how you twist your wrist. If you hop on it and hammer the throttle right off the bat, you'll def. have some problems. Just be smooth with the throttle. But yeah, an f2 would be like perfect to start out with. Just be prepared to tip it over. No one wants to, but it just might happen. Be careful and good luck.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:24 AM

Ya, it's just part of learning to ride. Most everyone tips over atleast once. I'd recommened not riding in a group till you get comfortable. Experienced riders forget that they're riding with a newb and bad things happen. Take care of your tires too, very important, and since you're probably going to be doing mostly big city riding louder is safer when it comes to exhaust. It gets people to notice you.