CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Fuel leaking (Picture)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leaking (Picture)

I've cleaned the carbs, (maybe four times this month? lol, I'm learning along the way. I'm a FI kinda guy) and this most recent time that I've assembled everything and tried to have a running bike in the end, it now leaks fuel. I had hole #2 plugged ever since I've replaced the motor (maybe two weeks ago), and everything worked. The reason I cleaned the carbs again this time was because it would take an hour (ok, maybe 1/2 an hour) to start the bike. Then when it did start, it's idle sucked, and it had terrible throttle response. So, taking someone else's advise, I had to go back and clean the carbs. More specifically, the tiny jets (which were clogged).

So I get everything bolted back together and it leaked out of #1 initially. But now that I have hole #2 unplugged, and it leaks from there.

I've tried starting the bike both with no choke, and all the choke. No throttle, and full throttle. Idle screw almost all the way out, and all the way in. In most casses, the bike sounds like it wants to start, all the while is puking fuel out of the valve. I've even went as far as plugging both holes #1 & #2, and it still doesn't start and stay alive.

What have I done wrong? Flooded? That quickly? The bowls were empty from cleaning the damn things!! Can't I clear a flood with long cranking at WOT and the choke all the way down (open)?

This is why I like fuel injection... I'm more familiar with the steps of troubleshooting and what causes what. Carbs are just some magical hunks of metal that allow air and fuel to mix in a venturi... and it takes a gang of hoses, screws, springs and gaskets for them to work right... POS... :/

*sigh*
Sorry... I just wanna get riding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What model bike is this? Is it a Cali model f2? I don't recognize the piece in the picture...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hershey
What model bike is this? Is it a Cali model f2? I don't recognize the piece in the picture...

Yes, it is Hershey; and I guess I'm the only person in the world left with one? (Cali model)

What I find funny is how I bought the bike in Michigan and left all the emissions stuff on it then; and now that I live in Cali, I've removed all that crap! (cause of the motor swap I did recently)

Anywho. It's not doing it anymore. I really don't know what the fix was, but here is what I did...

1st, I tapped on all the carb bowls. I did that cause I guessed MAYBE one of the floats got stuck? I don't know, but it sounded good at the time. Before I reassembled everything, I SPECIFICALLY checked the float movement, and the pins. Everything seemed very clean and moving freely. MAYBE, I got some grit in there when I was putting everything back together cause I am working in a dusty/dirty environment. I have kitty litter all over the place still from when I did the motor swap and from all the times I've dripped fuel from multiple carb cleanings.

2nd, I tried starting the bike with the petcock "off". She fired right up, and stayed idling. I said, "Holy Shananegans!" (but the other word ) I let her idle for a while, and she just kept on going. Ok, fine by me. So I took her for a ride. She ran pretty alright. I didn't have any complaints till I had to go uphill and she stalled and wouldn't turn back on.

So there I was stranded in my neighborhood, and pulled off to the side of the road trying to get the bike to fire back up. I kept looking while I was cranking away, and no fuel was dripping out. She would fire briefly, but wouldn't stay running. So it hits me like a ton of bricks , "Self, it's probably ready for fuel again." Turned the petcock "on", and she fired right up. Amazing! She's never started that quickly, or idled so smooth.

I must've rode for another hour or so last night and again this morning; no problems!

So what was the problem? I *think* I may have flooded it with the petcock on reserve? I *think* that's what it was on when it kept flooding? I don't know for sure. I just know now that when I park it, I set it to "off", and "on" when I'm about to ride.

Doesn't reserve work just like on, except it lets more fuel pass when the tank is low? Or does reserve not need a vaccuum like on does?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Default just some thoughts

i have been battling the same type of fuel leak. Which started when i change a leaking pet **** on my '93F2...

the area that you are indicating is leaking looks to me to be the diaphragm that delivers fuel to the carbs from the tank...

you may want to consider changing the diaphragm ... bike bandit has them for ~$38..

again just a thought.
rayfish

Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a cali model too. took all the "unneccesary" hoses and things off. hooked the pet straight up to the y on the carbs. perfect

Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM

Do you have an inline filter on your bike? You should try one if you don't, it will save you from having to clean the carbs all the time.