CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Fuel Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge?

Has anyone thought of putting a fuel gauge on their f2? I would love to have it think its a great feature. What would you need? a fuel sender and gauge or what?
thanks

Old 10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: Fuel Gauge?

1. Open Cap.
2. Look inside.

Fuel gauge

But seriously, any modifications to gas tanks should be done VERY CAREFULY. Gas tanks have been known to explode when welded on, even after being emptied and cleaned out. And if you drill holes, there's a chance that it'll leak (onto your hot engine) if you don't seal them up properly...

OTOH, you have a reserve anyway, so as long as that's working I wouldn't imagine getting stranded. And it's not like it costs that much to fill up a motorcycle.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM

gotcha open cap look inside. but seriously could it be that hard? i imagine a hole could be drilled out and sealed for the wires of the sending unit right? should be just two wires i would imagine and something to keep the float unit inside stabilized.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM

On cars, the fuel level sender is a pretty big piece of equipment, which is also the reason that cars have a much larger access hole on top of the fuel tank (to install in-tank fuel pumps).

If you wanted a low fuel indicator, that would be pretty painless (tap a hole and thread in the gauge, seal with RTV or thread sealnt), but a fuel level gauge would be a bit more complicated. You'd need something very compact that will mount to the cap base that fits through the fuel filler hole (which I would imagine is less than "3 wide)...

Either way, a level gauge probably isn't worth the effort.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM

i would think i could get one from a suzuki katana 600 that would work.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecR

On cars, the fuel level sender is a pretty big piece of equipment, which is also the reason that cars have a much larger access hole on top of the fuel tank (to install in-tank fuel pumps).

If you wanted a low fuel indicator, that would be pretty painless (tap a hole and thread in the gauge, seal with RTV or thread sealnt), but a fuel level gauge would be a bit more complicated. You'd need something very compact that will mount to the cap base that fits through the fuel filler hole (which I would imagine is less than "3 wide)...

Either way, a level gauge probably isn't worth the effort.
NOOOOOO! Never, ever use RTV silicone in, on or near gasoline! IT WILL EAT IT UP !!
I had a heck of a time with my wife's Yamaha because someone had used red RTV silicone on the carb bowls to hold the o-ring seal in place. BAD idea! The gasoline ate the silicone up and it swelled over into the bowls, THEN it got in the jets and the bike wouldn't run worth a crap and we were about 30 miles from home. I had to pull tank, airbox and carbs off, disassemble the carbsand spend about an hour or two scrapping that crap off the sealing surface of the carbs and clean it out of the jets. That was a freaking mess! Gasoline and RTV silicone do not go together!

CBR13F2: Why would you need a fuel gauge? Open the cap and look inside like SpecR said or do like I do: Fill it up, reset trip meter, ride till you have to hit reserve and note the miles you traveled from fill up to reserve. Then every time you fill it up reset your trip meter and you'll know how much farther you can go. Alot easier than cutting or drilling into the fuel tank.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Some RTVs are OK with gas and oil, some aren't.

You have to make sure you're using the right kind (such as super black, not normal black).

OTOH, you might be better of using thread sealer...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a gear indicator and /or a voltage meter would be even more helpful. My buddy has a volt meter on his F3. That way you can see what the hell your stator and r/r are up to.....I'm gonna check it out next time I see it...
RB

Old 10-30-2007, 10:02 PM

Bolt-on gear indicators only work on bikes with electronic speedos, so it'll only work if you swap to an F3+ engine... unless the F2's speed is mechanical-electrical and not just mechanical... (I don't know)

A voltmeter would be easy peasy, I think.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fuel gauge = tripometer, gas mileage is pretty predictable on a motorcycle

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge?