CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

front brake master cylinder rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake master cylinder rebuild questions

hey guys does anyone have a write up on how to rebuild my front brake, i just got the kit today, and dont really want to mess anything up, but i want to save money by doing it myself.thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: front brake master cylinder rebuild questions

Hmmm..Never been in this position. Just document how you took it apart, then do the reverse with the new parts.
Good Luck!
RB

Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM

I did my GL500i Silverwing two years ago. You will need the rebuild kit, a good chemical resistantbrush (like a military gun cleaning brush)a glass container (bowl), plenty of clean brake fluidand a small hone for the cylinder bore. If the master cylinder needed to be rebuilt it probably has a lip (just like a worn engine cylinder bore) and should be honed. I honed mine by hand with a stone meant for riflesmith stoning. Didn't take much or long.
Disassemble the the master cylinder and soak/scrub the parts you are going to re-use in clean brake fluid. I've heard of other solvents being used but brake fluid works great and it's the safest thing to use on your master cylinder.I don't know if the CBR master cylindershave the same issues as the mid eighties ones but I had a problem with my (REALLY tiny) fluid return hole being clogged with sediment. It took a long time to clean it out. I had to use the thinnest wire I could find to unplug the return hole. If the hole gets clogged and the fluid can't return to the cylinder, pressure will build up in the lines and cause the brakes to squeeze and eventually lock.
I was very nervous to attempt my first master cylinder rebuild but, like everything else I've tried on my bikes, the hardest step was the first one. So as the Marines say "Step off smartly with the left foot and continue to march!"

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM

ya i just got my rebuild kit today, but the problem i have is when i pull my brake lever, it pulls smooth the first tiny bit then it becomes hard to pull in, and makes a weird noise kinda like a nail creek in a borad, but the brakes work fine, as in stopping wise, but i will attempt tomarrow and take pictures...thanks