CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

finally running great after a year of tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finally running great after a year of tinkering

got a 94 f2 for 500 bucks and the kid said it wouldn't start and has not been run for 2 years and he couldn't figure it out. after buying a jet kit cuz it has k&n and vance and hines full exhaust I tinkered and tinkered and got the tuning close but never could get the stutter out of it. come to find out it had f3 carbs on it. I knew something was weird because the airbox assembly didn't really bolt up right. bought a set of f2 carbs and put my jet kit in that and it ran good for a couple days but the throttle started to hang a little and it bogged down when I gave it gas from idle. took them apart and the stuff I used to block a hole on the slides for the jet kit dissinegrated on one slide so one slide was opening easier than the others and the jets were clogged from this crap. cleaned everything up and resealed the holes and woohoo!!! I got me a 500 dollar mint running f2. valves are a little noisy but I cant afford to have someone do them. I can usually tinker with anything no problem but I don't like to fool with something that vital especially if I cant afford to have it done right if I screw up

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I love hearing stories of people getting a bike up and running.

The valve noise you refer to MAY be the 'Cam Chain Tensioner' maybe needing to be replaced. There is a manual CCT and install sticky somewhere on here the F2 forum page. It is a noise rattle from the internal cam chain. An easy fix.

Post some pics if you can.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well alrighty then... let's see this thing!!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM

I already did the cct. when I had carbs off when I first bought it I spun the motor over and I could see bubbles around the valves like something leaking by. ill see if I can figure out how to get a pic on here

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM

ill try to get more pics tomorrow this is the only one I have. I love the red with chrome decals but the guy has 600rr decals on the tail which I think is gay

Attached Thumbnails finally running great after a year of tinkering-cbr-f2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good to hear...

Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! Glad to hear it mine should be back in a week or so

Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM

what do you guys think? the right side fairing has rivets and crap because it was wrecked. I was thinking about a aftermarket fairing kit. don't know if I want one with a ghost flame look or should I stay with the red and chrome like it is?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by itsahurricane
what do you guys think? the right side fairing has rivets and crap because it was wrecked. I was thinking about a aftermarket fairing kit. don't know if I want one with a ghost flame look or should I stay with the red and chrome like it is?
You can read up on what folks have said about various aftermarket fairing offerings, especially the Hong Kong kits - my "Phase 1" thread has some commentary over a couple of pages, about my thoughts on the experience.

On the color issue, I say definitely get something with some graphics. This is just my own opinion, but I think it's harder to get away with just a solid color, on the F2, than on other bikes... I've seen a couple of single-colored F2s that look pretty good, but I think for the most part, these bikes need more, or they look really boring, and even more dated.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the HK kits.... but do your homework first
+1 that solid block of color is boring/dated/etc.

BUT.... I would ride it for the season the way it is.... you may dump it or you may decide you want something else and if looks are the only problem right now, then enjoy the ride (you won't be looking at it while your riding) and make it pretty in november/december.

Quick Reply: finally running great after a year of tinkering