CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F4i shock on F2 if I do this

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F4i shock on F2 if I do this

F4i shock on F2, Some say it messes with the geometry to much and screws up handleling. I know a Fox is the best mod but I just cant justify the price. So F4i raises the *** about an inch and a half or so. If I can raise the front end the same amount would the geometry be about stock and be a worthwhile mod to do. The f4i shock has to be better than my old f2 shock. You could use a 120/70 instead of a 120/60 to raise the front a little plus drop the forks in the clamps a little. Years ago when I races this F2 in CCS I was told by expert racers to raise the rear a little or lower the front a little to help alot in the turns but not too much because you loss straight line stability. So I could still leave the rear up a little. I started doing track days this year after not racing for 15 years. Didn't even ride the F2 during that time except maybe 4 or 5 times. F2 is track only but I also have 08 cbr 1000 street only.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, after going the Fox route on my bike - I adjusted the rear up about 1.75" anyway, and really enjoy the little bit quicker turn in. I think the F4i raises the rear more like 2" - but going 120/70 in the front would help like you mentioned - if you don't like the handling after just doing the shock first.

I think you've got a good gameplan and know what to expect - F4i shocks aren't that expensive if you look around - so the worst that could happen is you don't like it and you put it all back stock, and sell the F4i shock to recoup your cost of experimenting.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight line stability issues can be offset by a steering stabilizer.

It does increase seat height notably. I suppose being able to put your feet down isn't that big of an issue though.

I only raised the rear 3/4" with my fox racing rear when I had it. It add some turn in, yet didn't result in overly wonky geometry.

I would personally advise for the budget track rider to just get an F3 shock and have a machine shop make up some slightly shorter dog bones (raises height) so as your bike is only 3/4" higher.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM

I have a steering stabilizer on the bike. I also have to original 94 f2 shock with remote reservoir the was set up for my weight 15 years ago by Lindemen Engineering. I just thought a newer shock would have to be better, thats all. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM

I dont nessessarily (I cant spell for crap) want to raise the rear of the bike. I just wanted a newer and hopefully a better shock. economicly speaking. And since the f4i shock does raise the rear I thought if I also raise the front to match I would not mess with the geometry too much. The bike is track only and seems to handle pretty good the way it is. But you know how it is, cant leave well enough alone. Always trying to make it better, faster, handle better, look better, etc. Thanks guys.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 AM

I actually bought Jesse's re-worked F4i shock for my 92 F2, and even though it noticeably raised the rear, I have yet to experience ANY negative stability issues; and I've been pushing the stock front forks pretty hard. Granted, my bike is a daily rider, not a track weapon; but even without a steering stabilizer--and the forks in the OEM position--straight-line stability hasn't been affected that I can tell. The turn-in however; is ridiculous--just the way I like it--but completely predictable, despite the shortcomings of the wimpy OEM forks.

My worth? Go ahead with a tuned F4i shock (or a Fox twin-clicker, if you have the coin) and unless there's a seat-height concern, don't sweat the raised rear; the improved turn-in is well worth it. Reserve any REAL money for a suitable front-end upgrade--like the RaceTech-tweaked F4 forks I have in mind for my next project.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F2 Twin Clicker on Ebay this morning - $150 buy it now price isn't bad even if it does need a going-thru.

FOX Shock Twin Clicker, Honda 1992-1993 CBR600F2/F3 | eBay

Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by NCBikerBoy
I actually bought Jesse's re-worked F4i shock for my 92 F2, and even though it noticeably raised the rear, I have yet to experience ANY negative stability issues;
It shows up around 120+ mph. Doubt you're pushing that very often on the street, heh.

Originally Posted by NCBikerBoy
My worth? Go ahead with a tuned F4i shock (or a Fox twin-clicker, if you have the coin) and unless there's a seat-height concern, don't sweat the raised rear; the improved turn-in is well worth it. Reserve any REAL money for a suitable front-end upgrade--like the RaceTech-tweaked F4 forks I have in mind for my next project.
Front end improvements made some of the largest difference on my bike, mostly just a re-spring and rebuild. The lack of dive into turns made a massive difference.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM

That Fox didn't last long sold yesterday afternoon. Got home at 3am, I was going to buy it but it was too late. Oh well I will get one one day. Thanks guys.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
It shows up around 120+ mph. Doubt you're pushing that very often on the street, heh.
No comment... But I see your point !

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Front end improvements made some of the largest difference on my bike, mostly just a re-spring and rebuild. The lack of dive into turns made a massive difference.
+1 to front end improvements! The over-abundance of dive is exactly what kills my confidence; but there's also a vagueness to the front brakes (I admit it requires a heavy hand to surface, but it is there). As far as I know, both issues can be solved by upgrading to a set of F4 forks; which would provide both full adjustability on the forks; and larger, floating rotors for improved brake feel+performance. Sounds like a winning recipe to me--unless I'm missing something, that is...

Quick Reply: F4i shock on F2 if I do this