CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Excess carburetor Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excess carburetor Hoses

Hi
I have a California model CBR and I am trying to simplify the hose setup.
In reading the forums and looking at other peoples pictures of how their bike is setup that there are two hose attachment points that just dont have hoses on them (see pic) I am wondering if I can just remove the hoses and leave these open or if I should plug them in some way.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Excess carburetor Hoses-hose.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

They're the breather pipes. I have a much older model which has a similar set up.
If you take your carbs off and tip them at an unusual angle, petrol will pour out of them. The hoses are routed out behind the hot area of the engine.
My guess is that if the bike falls over the fuel is theoretically routed out of harms way. Check out where the manual suggests they;re supposed to go. If you choose to take them off it's your call but I'm sure it won't make any difference under normal conditions.
Why would you want to remove them anyway? It's not exactly a big cool factor is it?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

He's trying to remove california emissions, and he thinks those are for california emissions.

I doubt they did anything special on this bike for emissions in california. Not sure if they really had much in the way of standards pre-1994

Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a tip in an old motorcycle magazine many years ago on how to make those breather hoses look nicer, instead of a cow's udder hanging out the bottom. Buy some T-fittings from an aquarium supply store or wherever else they sell them, and cut each breather tube down and connect them together, like in the attached pic. Then you only have one breather tube hanging out the bottom, instead of 4.

Attached Thumbnails Excess carburetor Hoses-breather.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to remove the hoses because previously they went from the carburetors to 2 valves unique to the california emissions setup. The previous owner had removed the evap canister below the bike and so I had at least 1 hose going to nothing since the canister is gone.
I just want to remove the unneeded leftovers of the california emissions setup.

I found a good diagram showing those as breather tubes which in a non california type are open to the air.

Last edited by souldier4; 01-29-2010 at 08:49 PM.