CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Electrical Issue...I'm Stumped (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/electrical-issue-im-stumped-156145/)

drthv8r 06-10-2017 10:24 AM

Electrical Issue...I'm Stumped

Hi everyone,

New to these forums but not new to motorcycles- hope you guys can help!

I purchased a '93 F2 a few months back as a bike for the girlfriend. It had been down but was running fine, so I cleaned the carbs, put a few fairings on, replaced, the clip-ons, etc. to get it ride-able for her as a beginner bike.

We were about a mile away and I was having her practice in a parking lot with it a little bit (her MSF class is this week). Towards the end, I wanted her to go through the startup checks so I hit the killswitch, turned off the ignition, half choked it, put it in gear, kickstand down, etc. She went through all the checks just fine and when she turned the key, no dash lights or anything. Let the bad boyfriend jokes commence.

I tried troubleshooting there but got nothing out of it. We were about a mile from home so I started pushing the bike back. On the way back, three times the dash lights and headlight came back on (I had left the key on and killswitch in run) but once I hit the starter, everything disappeared again.

So here are the state of the electronics of the bike:
  • new battery
  • new-ish r/r (had it replaced right away....had issues with both my past F3 and VFR) and doesn't run hot/no melted wires or sockets
  • main fuse continuity test good
  • other fuses at front of bike continuity test good
  • ignition switch continuity test good
  • killswitch and starter continuity test seemed alright (not super good with a multimeter)
  • kickstand switch continuity test seemed alright
  • bike plugged into a trickle charger when in the garage

I have not been able to get the dash lights/headlight to come back on since it has been parked in the garage.

Any ideas? Usually my first thought is r/r, fuses, or connection somewhere in the killswitch but it all tests out fine.

Appreciate everyone's help!

74demon 06-10-2017 10:58 AM

Sounds like a loose battery cable.

wes 17 06-10-2017 12:54 PM

Check the base of the ignition switch for poor connection.
Best of luck

drthv8r 06-11-2017 08:37 AM

checked both to no avail. base of ignition switch looks clean and tidy and battery cable was down tight when putting back together to test.

wes 17 06-12-2017 10:56 AM

Try a set of jump leads. I know you have stated it's a new battery.

74demon 06-12-2017 11:35 AM

Let it run and wiggle every connection and part of harness you can get to until the problem happens again.

drthv8r 06-12-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1305247)
Let it run and wiggle every connection and part of harness you can get to until the problem happens again.

I think you had the right idea. I couldn't start it, but after going through everything a few more times I was putting it back together before hauling it off to the dealership. I had left the key turned on (on accident) and the killswitch in run and after hooking everything up, I got dash lights and headlight back and the thing started up like there was nothing wrong with it. Must have been a little corrosion or something on a connection that was knocked clean when putting it back together. Mind you, I had everything plugged and unplugged a few times in this process, so something must have been just right for it to act finicky. :icon_werd: I'm still keeping an eye on it.

More importantly, the girlfriend is loving the MSF class and the bike is ready for when she's done. She's a happy camper and so am I. :icon_hug::icon_beerchug:

Thanks everyone for the responses!

drthv8r 06-29-2017 10:01 AM

So the saga continues...

I had the cbr out a few times no problems. I went to start it the other day and it is out of gas. There was a leak with the petcock, which I repaired and put the tank back on the bike. I go to start it and get the same thing as before where I turn the key and there is no power or anything, which makes no sense to me because all I did was pull the tank off (with the rear fairings and seat) and did not touch anything electrical.

I did find out that if I pull the battery leads off and put them back on, it goes away and I can attempt to turn it over as normal. However, this time it struggled once or twice and now won't turn over. It gets power 3 out of 4 times (fourth time I have to pull the leads off and put back on). This last series of trying to start it, I got a few sparks near the battery and the lead on the battery tender connection started melting and smoking. It has refused to turn over since then.

I've been up and down it again and struggling to figure out what is going on. Battery after all my testing and hitting the starter button the last two days is still pulling 12.6v. Fuses are still good. I'm thinking maybe the starter is shot?

Thanks again for the help.

drthv8r 06-29-2017 01:23 PM

Another detail to add to the equation:

I pulled the starter relay just to make sure the fuse wasn't blown or anything. When I pulled the fuse out, it was a 40a. I believe it is supposed to be a 30a for that main fuse under the seat?

The best part about someone else's projects. :icon_slap2:

Could it be as simple as the starter relay or starter motor are burnt out from too much amperage? I've looked around, but does anyone have a step by step guide for testing one or both with a multimeter?

Thanks!