CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake?

I picked up an F2 for 500 bucks. No title, missing plastics/stay/gauges/radiator/seat. I planned on making it a track bike. I have now spent just over 1200 dollars total and it's still not ready. Should I have just bought parts for my f4 and used that at the track, or should I have just saved up about a grand more and then bought an SV? It just seems that the F2 was a good buy at the time, but it may not have been the best choice it seems. What is everyones opinion on this. BTW the bike as of now is almost ready, just needs paint and a new chain. Anyways did I make a good decision or not?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Did I make a mistake?

Really depends on your perspective.

Did you enjoy doing it?
Did you learn anything/gain experience you didn't have before?
How many miles?
Is the $1200 inclusive of the $500? Even if it wasn't an F2 goes around $2000-2800 depending on miles and condition.

Only you can say that it was worth it.
I bought an non-running F2 for $1900 and put in an additional $500 or so and got it running. Sure I could have purchased a running one, but I wouldn't feel the sense of accomplishment that I do now.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM

$1200 total with the initial $500 bike. Now what I'm curious is that was it worth it buying the F2 as a track bike, and should I have saved up a bit more and just got an SV or something like that. Pretty much is the F2 suited for the track?

Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the wrong person to ask.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 AM

But on a plus not I have leanred much more than what I previously new. Cleaning the carbs/jets I would've never known anything now I can do them in an hour flat if that. So I am not upset with what I have learned.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It may be worth the learning experience, and the pride of having your hands all inside your ride, but worth the $? no, probably not... I'm not putting you down or anything, it's a hard call determining how much money you'll need to put into it to have it up to par for the track.

There may have been some shortcuts to save you some coinage, but tires alone can run upwards of $300, racing goodies arent cheap either.

What comprises the $1200 worth of parts?

F2 fit for the track? My friend... you should learn the history of the CBR lineup! you would be very surprised to know that the F1 and F2 were the cats pajama's in their time! After that the competition stepped it up and the Honda's have been slower until this year the 07 got a revamp and got back on top.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

It doesn't need to have all the goodies for the track, just be able to run at the track. I have only been to 1 trackday previously so I am by no means fast. I just want something that is reliable and will not break the bank. I was thinking SV but this came about for 500 bucks so I figured why not. I'll never compete in WERA/AMA/all those other ones, I just want to have a bike dedicated to the track. I hope that clarifies up some things. So pretty much I am looking for something that is reliable and won't break the bank.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to know if the $ was worth it, it all depends on what condition it's in now that you have spent the money, and how far your money got you.

If you've gone over it head to toe and have everything as good as new, $1900 for a track bike is not bad at all if it's in tip top shape.

But if you've spent $500 on a non-runner and spent $1200 just to get it running and maybe some fairings then you've gone wrong somewhere.

You would have to explain exactly how you spent the $1200 for anyone to let you know if it was worth it

Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 PM

well ok 500 for the bike. It had no radiator/plastics/gauges/seat/fairing stay. Picked up a radiator first and once the radiator was mounted, and the carbs/jets were cleaned, the bike runs. I then did a valve check on it and everything was in spec. Also did a compression test on each cyclinder and all is good. It does need some fresh oil. Now I am not sure how else to check the engine, if you have advice please let me know. So the bike runs and I then picked up a fairing stay, gauges, plastics, and a seat. So togehter so far with everything I have spent $1200 total, including the bike. Does that clarify it up a bit?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM

It seems like all bikes need money. Especially if ypu're not just pullin it out once a month to say, hey I'm cool cuz I have a bike. When it comes to pushing yours and the bikes limits your gonna spend money. Whether it be stunting or the track or whatever.
As far as a beginners track bike, it is excellent. You get the feel for it and you test your limits when they need to be tested. Repairs and extras come cheaper for an older bike. The hardest thing about these bikes is getting your idle and acceleration smooth and steady. If you can do that then you got a good track bike. In the beginning stages it's not so important cuz it's more mental and getting aquainted with your bike.
On that note, that's why you should also know your bike inside and out. Which is why it's good that you've done all that work yourself instead of buying a ready made.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake?