CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   Craking sound coming form the front (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/craking-sound-coming-form-front-153453/)

discobear 04-30-2015 12:50 PM

Craking sound coming form the front

Hi guys!

So the problem is somewhere in the front. I dont know how to describe the sound, but its something like "krrr krrr krrri" at low speeds but the sound stops as soon as I press on the brake lever!

When I first heard it, I thought it may be the bearings, so I replaced them, but the cracking sound is still present. Upon wheel removal, I also checked the brake pads and they seemed to be fine, about 60-50% left. Used Brake cleaner to clean them, hoping that maybe that will resolve the problem but no.
Old bearings seemed worn so I had to replace them anyway.

At this point I really do not know what to look for.
Maybe something with front axle or pitch bolts?
I don't think its the brake rotors, because they seem fine and I do not feel any vibrations coming from them as I brake.

Maybe someone has had a similar problem and could help me to figure this one out? The sound is making me crazy!

discobear 04-30-2015 12:56 PM

I also suspected the speedo assembly, but now Im not shure.
Because the cracking sound stops when the brake lever is pressed, brake could create some pressure on the moving parts and silencing the sound.
Logically the source of problems has to be the brakes, but there is nothing wrong, at least visually.
Also when the front wheel is lifted up, It spins freely and there is NO cracking sound! So I'm guessing that eliminates brake problem? Right?

Phil314 04-30-2015 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by discobear (Post 1288151)
I also suspected the speedo assembly, but now Im not shure.
Because the cracking sound stops when the brake lever is pressed, brake could create some pressure on the moving parts and silencing the sound.
Logically the source of problems has to be the brakes, but there is nothing wrong, at least visually.
Also when the front wheel is lifted up, It spins freely and there is NO cracking sound! So I'm guessing that eliminates brake problem? Right?

I'm assuming this doesn't happen at higher speeds?

What kind of brake pads are you using? Some semi metallic pads as they wear will hit a spot where they grind/vibrate against the rotor. Also the rotors could be slightly warped and the pads are hitting the high spots making the noise. Touching the brake lever in either case will make the noise go away.

I'd first check the runout on the rotors and see. Then maybe swap out the pads. Or sand the pads a bit. Or just live with it.

discobear 05-19-2015 03:09 PM

Recently swapped front brake pads and the annoying sound is gone! Many thanks Phil!
Also one of rotors is slightly wrapped, I can barely hear rotor hitting the brake pad while bike is lifted on stand (with new pads).

Phil314 05-19-2015 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by discobear (Post 1288710)
Recently swapped front brake pads and the annoying sound is gone! Many thanks Phil!
Also one of rotors is slightly wrapped, I can barely hear rotor hitting the brake pad while bike is lifted on stand (with new pads).

Slightly warped rotors can be straightened. Use a dial indicator and check the runout. If it's in the ten thousands range, you can probably straighten it. Use the dial indicator to find the high spots. Then use a block of wood and a small hammer and tap the high spots. And remeasure. You may have a couple high spots and have to repeat this several times to get them close to zero.

Of course, if your rotors are very worn, heat warped, seriously warp, etc, your results will vary. Then they may warp again very easy. You may end up having to replace them, but it's worth a try cause they are expensive.

Some people don't like the idea of banging on rotors. If you don't like it, then don't do it. But it works for a lot of people and I've never seen a problem as a result of doing this.