CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Cleaning the Carbs today

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the Carbs today

Ok, so ive been fouling plugs on a regular basis.....the reason for this is that not only is my petcock bad and lets gas flow freely from it in the on position, but im guessing either one of the floats is trashed or one of the needles/seats is not seating properly/damaged. So what I think its doing is flowing gas freely from the tank to the float bowl...(not a big deal as long as i turn off the gas when the bike is parked) BUT since one of the floats or needles is not working properlly....its taking that gas and slowly flooding the engine......hence loading up the plugs...not having the right fuel/air ratio...stealing power and also explains why my gas mileage isnt so great. I got the carbs off of the bike yesterday and am planning on ripping them apart and cleaning them today...im not sure how to synch carbs but my uncle lives near by and has a pretty wide knoweldge of these things...but some help on that could be of use...other than that any thing I should look out for?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cleaning the Carbs today

Ya cant synch the carbs without one of these guys:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/20...MP_SyncPro.jpg

Dont pinch the float bowl gaskets, dont get the rubber bits soaked in carb cleaner, dont strip any bolts (they're soft), and most importantly do it right the first time! lol

Old 03-01-2008, 12:42 PM

I'm going to be doing this on my F2 tomorrow, urghh I changed the plugs today because the were fouled and flooded, I can't wait to get my bike running again.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM

sounds like we have the same problem...yea I went to start her up for the first time in 7 months and just backfires...so i cleaned the plugs and it fired right up...then about 3 days later they were fouled again...so ive been talking to my uncle, dad and the local honda stealership and after gathering as much info as i could came up with the above problem lol

Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Dj_Squatch

sounds like we have the same problem...yea I went to start her up for the first time in 7 months and just backfires...so i cleaned the plugs and it fired right up...then about 3 days later they were fouled again...so ive been talking to my uncle, dad and the local honda stealership and after gathering as much info as i could came up with the above problem lol
yeah I bought my bike and it ran fine for a while then one day while riding to school it just stops and starts bogging down. I limp home and drain the bowls and there are black with particles in the gas, I've since cleaned out my gas tank and the carbs are the only thing left to do.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM

Alright so I'm having a little trouble with getting the carbs out. Everything is removed and I loosed the carburetor bands that are at the bottom but I still can't get the carbs out, they feel like they are still bolted down some where. Am I missing anything?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM

if all the clamps are loosened you need to to use a bit more elbow grease. they can be stuck on there pretty well and it will feel like they dont want to come out. just wiggle it a bit and use those guns!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Yea we had a hell of a time getting mine off....my friend is 265 pounds of pure muscle and couldnt get them off....it was ridiculous...so what we ended up doing is getting to very large flat heads on oposite sides of the cuppling holding the carbs on...and one person pulling up...this worked but be carefull not to damage them!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:28 PM

Its not bolted down. As long as you loosen the rubber couplers (4 of them with a phillips screwdriver) just wiggle them out pulling upward.

-Jasper

Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM

yeah I'll try harder, I was just worried about damaging them, they are in there pretty tightly, I was worried about damaging the carbs by pulling to hard.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Carbs today