CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Charging issue.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issue.

Hey guys looking for any advice here. Last summer I cooked my RR. Replaced it and all seemed well for a few quick rides but then the battery wouldn't charge. The stator seemed okay. I had good voltage but I replaced it anyway just in case and got a new battery as the old one ended up being cooked which I thought was the issue. Well nice weather is here and it's doing the same thing. Again I have good stator voltage and I can even see it fluctuate at the battery terminals when I rev it. I have not done another RR check but it seems to be fine. When it went last year it melted a couple fuses but I replaced them. I also looked at the wiring harness in all the suspect spots and I didn't see any melting at all. If anyone has any ideas what I should look at next I'd appreciate it. I also have an aftermarket HID but I don't suspect that's the issue.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffcbr600f2
Hey guys looking for any advice here. Last summer I cooked my RR. Replaced it and all seemed well for a few quick rides but then the battery wouldn't charge. The stator seemed okay. I had good voltage but I replaced it anyway just in case and got a new battery as the old one ended up being cooked which I thought was the issue. Well nice weather is here and it's doing the same thing. Again I have good stator voltage and I can even see it fluctuate at the battery terminals when I rev it. I have not done another RR check but it seems to be fine. When it went last year it melted a couple fuses but I replaced them. I also looked at the wiring harness in all the suspect spots and I didn't see any melting at all. If anyone has any ideas what I should look at next I'd appreciate it. I also have an aftermarket HID but I don't suspect that's the issue.
I really doubt it's the stator. They don't go bad that frequently.

Batteries and reg/rec are the main problems. Did you replace the RR with an OEM honda or an aftermarket one?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 AM

The old stator had a weak output so it was time to be changed. Barely was making 12 volts. The RR is aftermarket. The Honda one is discontinued. I'll have to find the test procedure again check the new one. If not I might buy a new wiring harness. It's not that expensive and mine has been hacked in a few places. Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 AM

The old stator had a weak output so it was time to be changed. Barely was making 12 volts. The RR is aftermarket. The Honda one is discontinued. I'll have to find the test procedure again check the new one. If not I might buy a new wiring harness. It's not that expensive and mine has been hacked in a few places. Anyone have any other ideas?
Then I'm guessing it's the RR again. Aftermarket RR are a crap shoot. Most work for a couple months to a year and then die and possible kill the battery. Or they start working intermittently and you end up chasing your tail again.

I've personally fixed probably a dozen F2 with charging problems. I've always used Honda OEM RR and they reliable and last. Now I will say that the original Honda RR sucked (epoxy filled ones), but Honda updated the part to one that has fins a couple years ago and they just plain work great. It's not worth saving a couple buck on an aftermarket one. Or getting stranded somewhere. Anyway, the new part number is 31600-MV4-010. I don't think they've been discontinued. I found a couple places showing them in stock.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/charging-system-problem-help-please-152933

Last edited by Phil314; 05-05-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the updated part number! Maybe I'll try the Honda one. As long as it gets me running before the real nice weather gets here I'll be happy.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 AM

So the old stator was bad which may or may not have fried the new RR but either way I replaced the RR after I confirmed the the old stator was bad with a nice new Honda one (thanks Phil) and she seems to be running like a champ once again. I wonder how many more years I'm going to get out of this old girl. One thing I do know is I'll keep riding her until she explodes.
Thanks again for the tips guys.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:38 AM

The part is still available I just phoned my local Honda dealer to check, and if I can get it here in south Africa then they must have it there

Old 07-18-2015, 08:56 AM

One thing I do know is I'll keep riding her until she explodes.
lol, yeah, that could be a while...

Old 07-19-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scorch
The part is still available I just phoned my local Honda dealer to check, and if I can get it here in south Africa then they must have it there
Yeah I was able to order it on Ron Ayers...
Did the trick.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Phil314
lol, yeah, that could be a while...
Let's hope!!!
She's up to 13,800 miles or so now hahaha. I got it with 8k at the end of 2011

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging issue.