CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

CBR600F2 unbearable frame temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F2 unbearable frame temperature

Hi,
I have a late F2 from 1994.
Before arriving in my home it went through a number of owners and I don't have a full history (i.e. I don't know if any piece of the fairing was replaced with after market alternatives).

As you can guess from the title my frame reaches temperature that are incompatible with human skin.
No matter the external temperature at some point of the ride the temperature gets to the point where I can't keep the legs touching the bike unless I use my leather suit.
The engine in itself runs fine (actually I have a bit of distribution noise when cold) with no overheating nor strange response to the throttle (except being basically torque-less until it reaches 8000rpm which I believe means "working as designed")

What can I check/change to make the bike frame compatible with textile pants?
In some threads I have seen reference to the use of heat insulation: where should it be placed? How should the interior of the fairing look like?
I see cracks on the fairing (the bike clearly tested the asphalt with more than the wheels before I got it), but no melting in any spot.

TIA

Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New one on me.

Gotta ask...what's "distribution noise"?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 AM

I guess it's the cam chain tensioner, but I don't have a sound file with "certified" cct noise to compare.
It goes away once the engine is warm.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Exhaust blowing ?
Where does the heat up begin ? What temperature is the bike actually running at ? With those temps described I’d keep an eye on your wiring loom.
Seeing as your frame and subframe are joined, not sure on your bike, but a r/r gets very hot and is bolted to the frame in my case.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Yeah, the R/R gets blazing hot and heats the frame where it makes contact, but that's about it.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by EchoWars
Yeah, the R/R gets blazing hot and heats the frame where it makes contact, but that's about it.
Excuse my ignorance... R/R being the voltage regulator or something else?

The heat apparently starts from the front and moves backward.
I'd say it's symmetrically hot, but I have not measured it.

There it is an easy way to check for the exhaust blowing?
I would guess from the connection to the head because the silencer is connected too far back.

Engine reported temperature is just in the middle of the indicator.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM

R/R = Regulator/Rectifier

Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 AM

While preparing the bike for the new season I removed the fairing and found out how the heat moves.
It starts from the top of the frame in the area just above the engine head and moves backward, but not forward (i.e. the steering bearing remains cool).
The IR thermometer indicates something like 200C on the top of the exhaust headers while the engine is running.

The R/R is mounted in the tail area in my bike, given the way the heat propagates it is not the source of it.

[Update]: the frame temperature is perfectly fine if I ride without the fairing.

Last edited by mullasci; 05-15-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Update after running without fairing
Old 05-15-2018, 06:24 PM

Well, the F2 and F3 pretty much surround the frame with plastic, so I'm not surprised that it gets pretty warm. Honestly, on my F2, I've not paid a lot of attention to how warm it's getting. Next time out, I'll see if I can get a 'feel' for heat transfer to the frame.

Edit: Might mention that, from the factory, there's a neoprene rubber shield mounted underneath the coils and above the top of the head. I've noticed that a lot of guys take them off and leave them off. Is yours in place?

Last edited by EchoWars; 05-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.