CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

cbr600f2 shot gas out of the tail pipe. wtf?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr600f2 shot gas out of the tail pipe. wtf?!

Hey there, ive had some issues with my bike lately. I just replaced the whole motor, as well as the clutchs. The guy that did all my bike work forgot a hose clamp on one of my carborator hoses (no idea what they are called) and it was leaking gas all night last night. We put a new clamp on the hose and it isnt leaking anymore. Well I went to fire up my bike and for about 2 seconds it shot gas out of my exhaust. Ive started it 2 times since then, approximatly 2 hours in between starts and no more gas has shot out of my exhaust, however the lowest point of my exhaust pipe is dripping at a rate of maybe a drop every 4 seconds or so.

Im wondering if maybe during the time we had taken the carborators off to tighten that seal if some fuel from removing the fuel tank had leaked somewhere it shouldnt be and its just a matter of that fuel dripping out. Or if maybe one of my floaters is stuck.

Thanks for the help, any advice is appreciated!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT start your bike again until you know EXACTLY what is going on. A gas diluted crankcase full of oil will destroy your bike in very short order. I don't know your "mechanic" but I think you should find another one, perhaps a trained licensed one. No offense to you or your mechanic, I just don't want you to have your bike wasted because you trusted someone that is not qualified to take care of your baby.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ this. Definitely take the time to figure out what's going on before you start her again. Gas shouldnt be dripping out of your exhaust. I wpuldnt trust that guy anymore. Sounds like he knows less then you. I'm not sure a leaking hose, externally anyway, would cause fuel to flow through your engine. I'd be more inclined to think stuck float or incorrectly hooked up lines. Pull the dip stick and smell your oil. It's not 100 percent accurate but usually you will smell gas if it's filled a cylinder and leaked past the rings.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely get those carbs off and clean them thoroughly, especially if that wasn't done to begin with anyway - at that time, you can verify the float pivot rods and float valves are clean, and are allowing the floats to move freely.

If this is why/how fuel is getting into the motor, then once you have the carbs sorted, pull all the plugs and crank it some, without the carbs mounted, so you don't risk hydro-locking the motor, which will damage the motor fatally.
Like mentioned above, check the oil for gasoline, or better yet, just change it to be safe.

If it will be a bit before you can get to checking the float situation, then turn off your petcock and rap on the side of each float bowl with a socket extension or screwdriver, or something of the like, which can sometimes temporarily free up a stuck float.