CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F2 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/)
-   -   CBR F2 1994 analogue to digital HELP (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/cbr-f2-1994-analogue-digital-help-154054/)

damion1986 12-26-2015 06:37 PM

CBR F2 1994 analogue to digital HELP

Ive been turning my F2 slowly into a streetfighter. However as the clocks need changing e.g speedometer and other gauges. It seems to be cheaper to invest in a digital speedometer.

My million dollar question is. Can I do a straight swap from the origonal analogue speedo/gauges to a digital speedo/rev counter? What would be required for this swap if it needs more than just the clocks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Mattson 12-27-2015 01:01 PM

You either need a "digitizer" thingy to convert the cable driven speedo "signal" to digital, it's a small box that connects to the other end of the cable usually sold separately as an extra bit, or you need a magnetic pickup and some magnets to mount on your shock/rim like you would when fitting a bicycle speedo. The rev signal doesn't usually require extra gizmos BUT it can be a bit of a fiddle to get working as it might or might not work properly using the original rev signal wire to the oem gauge. Unfortunately good quality gauges are the pricey ones, however for example Koso usually comes with all the sensors so it's, in theory, less of a hassle than trying to tap into the bike's own wiring.

Migge 12-27-2015 02:25 PM

On my blog, I've written a bit about this. TL; DR: I bought a converter that converts the mechanical signal to an electrical one and connected the pickup wire from the new digital speedometer/tacho not as it states in the instructions – a few coils around the spark plug wires – but instead to the connector of the ignition coil which works much better.

Some links:
Wiring success | MOTOGUERREROS

Acewell 2853 | MOTOGUERREROS

damion1986 12-28-2015 10:27 AM

Thanks for the advise maybe ill just stick with analogue gauges, however if i am to stick with analogue does it need any sort of adjusting as such, what i mean is that when putting on a stand alone clock would I need to readjust any mechanism to make it work or is it a straight swap i.e wire it up and go?

This is what I am looking at investing soon.

CUSTOM CHROME STREET FIGHTER TACHO & SPEEDO CLOCKS ATV QUAD TRIKE SPEEDOMETER | eBay

Mattson 12-28-2015 11:18 AM

You CAN'T adjust a mechanical speedo. It says on the ad 60 mph equals 2240rpm on the cable, does anyone here know what the 60mph RPM is for the OEM speedo drive?

It's not really that difficult to hook up a digital dash, just laboursome. We'll guide you through any kinks you might encounter.

At the cheapest you could go to a bicycle shop, get yourself a 10£ Sigma speedo, cut the speed pickup (and the wire) from it and there you have a digital magnetic speed pickup. Then just go to the nearest local DIY electronics shop and buy a few small rare earth magnets to fit onto your brake rotor bolts. I can throw up a few pictures if need be.

damion1986 12-31-2015 03:08 PM

LCD Digital Motorcycle Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge KMH/MPH Brand New | eBay

This is the clocks ive been looking at if its not to hard to hook up to the CBR F2. What do you think? its cheap under £30 so viable for my situation :-) I will possibley need help in the future if i am to invest in this.