CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Cbr 600 F2... should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr 600 F2... should I buy?

I am thinking of buying a honda CBR F2 but the guy says it has a transmission problem with 2 gear, and carbs need cleaning. I getting it for $900, I know how to do engine rebuilds, i have worked at a small engines repair shop for 2 years and rebuilt tons of carbs and transmissions. I have also rebuilt my honda crx. I would like to know if an F2 in that condition is worth the $900 or if i should keep looking. thanks for any help.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the nature of the 2nd gear problem. 2nd gear on a lot of bikes is problematic after a lot of miles, and the Honda 600's are included. When worn, can sometimes pop out of gear after a hard shift on the power. In a lot of cases you can adjust your riding style to shift a little easier into 2nd, maybe a hint of clutch. That's what I do just tp preserve my transmission.

If it pops out of 2nd at random times, or doesn't want to go in, then you might be looking into a trans rebuild, could just be a bent shift fork instead of worn gear dogs.

If the bike is in fair -to-good looking shape, has good tires that aren't old and hard and still have a little life in them, a chain and sprockets that aren't at the end of their lifetime - then $900 is pretty good.

Replacing the trans isn't terribly hard, but does require engine removal and splitting the case - so if you've done a full motor rebuild on your CRX, down to the crank, you're probably in the know on how to find and follow directions on replacing the trans gears. You can find transmission gears for these bike in decent shape on ebay pretty cheap if it needs a full replacement.

93 Honda CBR 600 F2 Transmission Tranny YB | eBay

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Oh - and there's threads all over here about cleaning and tuning the carbs. Does the bike run now?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks yea it has new tires and the plastics are in decent shape but I'm planning to repaint so I'm not to worried about the paint job.
he said it would turn over but wont stay running, so I'm guessing it just needs a good carb cleaning.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Good tires and decent plastics for $900 - yeah I'd buy it myself, and I don't even need another bike, lol.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id probably pick it up and just take like 4 hours drop the motor split the case and just swap in a new transmission