CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bought an F2, not running, fireball backfire?!?! HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an F2, not running, fireball backfire?!?! HELP?

Hey guys, got an 1994 F2 the other day for cheap, couldn't pass it up. The guy said it ran fine before being stored, (for what looks like 1-2 years) but when I changed the oil/filter/spark plugs and put fresh fuel in it, it just cranks forever. I decided that I would take apart the carbs and clean them, after that was all done, tried again. Just a put-put every 7-8 cranks, tried starting fluid, same thing... until all of a sudden a giant bang and fire flew out the headers (no muffler on), tried cranking but the same put-put again, then it exploded even more fire out the tail pipe after 5 mins or so.

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone know what's up? The battery is fine, so its nothing to do with that.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM

sounds pretty cool. can we get a video

Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM

I don't have an idea about the fireball. But, can you confirm there's fuel in the carb bowls? You describe it "put putting" every 7-8 cranks. This reminds me of the problem my bike had when I first got it.

It turned out that the fuel petcock wasn't allowing fuel to flow fast enough from the tank. So the level of gas in the carbs would be barely higher than the jets, so every few cranks the engine would suck up all the gas and be dry again. The little bit of gas that the engine did pull in would fire a few small times.

I recommend removing the gas tank and testing the fuel petcock by sucking on the vacuum line. You shouldn't need to suck hard, and you should get a pretty strong flow of gas.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by berga
I don't have an idea about the fireball. But, can you confirm there's fuel in the carb bowls? You describe it "put putting" every 7-8 cranks. This reminds me of the problem my bike had when I first got it.

It turned out that the fuel petcock wasn't allowing fuel to flow fast enough from the tank. So the level of gas in the carbs would be barely higher than the jets, so every few cranks the engine would suck up all the gas and be dry again. The little bit of gas that the engine did pull in would fire a few small times.

I recommend removing the gas tank and testing the fuel petcock by sucking on the vacuum line. You shouldn't need to suck hard, and you should get a pretty strong flow of gas.
That was my first thought, and theres plenty of gas going out of the tank through the petcock, idk about it making it into the carbs maybe? Something blocking it possibly? Who knows, its still doing the same thing.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Registered Users

Ok, went out to try starting it again, after 10 mins of cranking it putted and caught! Then died to a screeching hault. Started again, and it made the most god-aweful noise ever for 10-20 secs with the oil light on, guessing the new oil I put in hadn't fully circulated. Then it started idleing and works great now!

So the problem is solved, but I have no idea what the problem even was haha.

Last edited by xDucttapekinGx; 01-20-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:13 PM

You let it run for 5 min with the oil light on? Could really be a bad thing there. It should not take much more than a 30sec or so at most if that to circulate the oil in a freshly rebuilt motor. might want to check the oil pressure if the light was on for 5 min.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Yeah, very bad call running the bike for that long with the oil light on. Hopefully you won't ever see the effects. But next time, if that light ever appears, you'd better sort it out asap before doing anything else.

My light usually disappears after about 5 seconds of cranking, or just a second or two of running, for reference.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It screeched for 5 mins?

I wouldn't ride her till you drained the oil and check it for metal. Sounds like she partially seized (bad). And you don't want it to seize completely while on it at speed (really really really bad)

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Very bad!!! Drain the oil, remove the oil filter & cut it open. You need to check for metal particles & shavings.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Project96
Very bad!!! Drain the oil, remove the oil filter & cut it open. You need to check for metal particles & shavings.
My other post didn't.. well post I guess. I mistook my time readings, more like 10-20 secs it did that, changed the oil, still a great clear-brown and no metal.

Quick Reply: Bought an F2, not running, fireball backfire?!?! HELP?