CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike wont start. Flooded? Cant get it to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start. Flooded? Cant get it to work

I have done a lot of searching trying to find recommendations for my problem. Im desperate now.

So two days ago the bike was running fine. No problems. Next day I could not get it started. I made sure the stand is up, its in neutral and that the clutch is engaged. I have been trying and trying. I even tried to bump start it. Nothing. I am sure that I have tried to open throttle while starting it. (i know. Bad idea)

After a while i noticed that the battery seems week. I charged it up.

Tried starting again. Still nothing. However this time I noticed gas coming out of the bike. I was not sure where it was coming from but i saw some leak from the header.

I took the spark plugs out today. Wet as hell. Cleaned them and let them dry. I turned the gas off and then i turned the motor few times over without the spark plugs in. Nothing came out of the cylinders.

Put the plugs back in. Turned the gas on. Still no luck starting it. And gas still leaking out of the exhaust.

Took the header off and the plugs out. Plugs were wet again. Here is the kicker. There was like a glass of gas in the header.

Poured it out and let it dry. Turned the gas off. Turned the motor over few times with out the plugs or the header.

Then I went and i bought new plugs. Put them in. Put the exhaust back on. Turned on the gas. Tried to start it. No luck. I can hear popping like its trying but it does not start. However it didnt seem strong on turning. So i am charging the battery right now to try again.

I took #1 spark plug out again to check if its wet again. It was not.

I checked for spark but on only one cylinder #3. And that was fine.

Any suggestions.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pull the plugs out and let the cylinders air out over night, charge the battery while the cylinders are airing out.

When you put it all back together, check for spark on all 4 wires/plugs before trying to start the bike.

If the cylinders are that badly flooded I would suggest an oil change as there is probably a healthy amount of fuel in your oil.

Best bet is to let it dry out and try again later

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

The bike is venting right now.

Somebody suggested that I test the fuel valve on the tank as well.

I did.

When its in off position no fuel comes out but when I turn it to on or reserve gas start pouring out when the engine is not running.

I guess its not supposed to be like that since its a vacuum operated valve.

Correct me if I am wrong. Also is there a way to fix it?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Matt, I don't know if you've read my Fuel Leaking thread, but I've had a very simular problem.

Just try this... maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. But I don't think it'll hurt anything.

Turn the petcock "off", and start the bike up. If she runs, drive it a while (in your neighborhood, not too far from home) till she dies and wont start back up. When that happens, turn the petcock "on", check for flooding, and ride again.

I'm worried that in your case though, you're getting flooding when the engine is off. Mine only leaked fuel when it was cranking, or almost running.

Try starting it in "off" and see how it goes.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Here is something i have just thought off.

Since the bike was running fine until now I assume that there is no problems with the carbs and its just a weird flooding issue.

I am thinking that there are two paths to fixing this.

1 (What i was going to do).
The bike is sitting without the spark plugs venting cylinders right now for any gas residue there. Plugs were cleaned. I was going to put the plugs in tomorrow and try it with the petcock off. Running fuel from the carbs.

2 (What i think I should do).
If i go ahead and try to test for spark now I will cause gas to enter the cylinders and might have the same problem. I was going to keep the bike's fuel on off. Drain the carbs. Test for spark. Try to fix the petcock and try it then again.

Maybe i will do #1 tomorrow and if that does not work i will go ahead with #2.

What do you think?

Old 07-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Any chance you have some dirt in the float valve? It sounds like the float bowel/s are overfilling and the gas is just running into the intake. Try starting it with the fuel valve off.
Let us know what works.
mikey

Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Check for spark first, get it done and over with. No harm in flooding the engine again with the plugs out anyway. Plus, you only need to turn the bike over once per plug to see if it sparks. That won't be enough to flood anything.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Just found a link that might help you.

http://www.musclecross.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113

Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM

I verified spark. And its all good.

Tried to start it in off position and it sounded like it might once but didnt and nothing from there. I guess I will pull the gas tank off. Drain in. Look in to the petcock and carbs next. Unless you have any more suggestions.

Last edited by Matt.f2; 07-20-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM

I still am not so sure about the petcock. The job of the float valves is to prevent too much fuel from running into the carbs and thus the engine. The weird thing is that this started out of nowhere, not after sitting a while which is usually what it takes. I would still be leaning toward a float problem, but let me know what you uncover, I am curious if this problem can come from the petcock.

Quick Reply: Bike wont start. Flooded? Cant get it to work