CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

bike too rich, hard to start

Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 PM
tuj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike too rich, hard to start

Hi all, this is my first post here.

My cbr f2 is hard to start, and seems to be running rich. I noticed this last season. Went to start the bike after it had been sitting for about a month. Bike wouldn't start, turned over fine and rapidly, as I kept it on a trickle charger.

It would almost sound like it was about to start, but never quite would. Several times I got a weird whooosh, pop backfire. Took out the plugs and they were pretty coated in gas. I fiddled with the choke and throttle position while trying to start it, after the typical closed-throttle, full-choke didn't work. I also tried increasing and decreasing the idle adjust to see if that would help.

Anyway, I plan on changing the plugs and I suspect that will get me going. This has happened to me last season as well, and the exhaust smells rich when it runs. I get around 30 mpg. The previous owner supposedly put in some sort of jet kit.

So I know next to nothing about carbs, altho I understand the bare basics of fuel injection tuning. Should I take the carbs off and take them to a shop? Or should I try to tackle this myself? Or should I just not care? I didn't pay a lot for this bike, and if its running at 70% or so, I'm fine with that for now if its going to take a lot to get it right.

Are there any good tutorials on the carbs and tuning them? how about determing the AFR for each carb? I know a lot of people read plugs, but I'd like something a bit more objective.

Anyway, your thoughts appreciated!

Old 03-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Default RE: bike too rich, hard to start

Ya it sounds like your pilot screws are loose, I adjusted mine but it is not easy. If you have the time I would recommend taking the carbs off and taking a look at them. Maybe the previous owner put in some bigger jets and if you get the pilot screws right in front of you it is a lot easier to adjust. When I did it for the first time it took me a long time, but if you get the service manual it should be easy to figure out. If you are interested in learning more about your bike a service manual and taking it apart is a great way to learn. Just keep track of where everything goes. And im not sure exactly how to do it but you can flush out the excess gas, there should be a previous post about it in general tech section.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:09 AM

sounds like it could use a complete tune up........thats just my two cents.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
tuj

Should I take in the whole bike or just the carbs?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM

i would take the whole bike in.. that way you know that you brought the problem to the shop .. incase its not the carbs.